help with sanding

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

xander

Tenderfoot
Apr 28, 2011
bedford england
hi im making a knife handle and the wood i have (no idea what it is) seems to eat sand paper and i have been through 5 a4 sized pieces and not even got the back flush with the tang :(
is there anyone with in a 40 mile radius of bedford that has a table mounted sander i could come and use id pay for the sanding discs and i would be extremely grateful :)
hope some one can help

xan

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
+1 to that. I do all mine by hand.

Gotta love the stuff from the pound shop, smells like vomit, thin as tracing paper and the grits range from "broken bottle" to "spot the sand", only with 1 other grade in the middle....

The more expensive emery paper or good quality material backed paper is far beteter value for money. Once a rough grade wears down a little just call it a grade finer than it was ;)

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Yup, I've been buying rolls of green 120 grit. Cut it into strips and put knives into a vice and sand them like you're buffing shoes to a shine with a cloth. Works a treat but it's as cheap as I'll go. Pound shop sandpaper is hopeless as the few bits of sand jump off the paper when you try to use it. I've got a few ali/oxide stones that worked great in the past though.

SiWhite

Nomad
Apr 1, 2007
Deepest North Hampshire
You can get sanding mesh now which is a fine mesh covered with carbide grit of various grades. The advantage is that it won't clog with sawdust, and that a 5m roll is about six quid from eBay.

Simon H

Nomad
Feb 20, 2008
The Ashdown Forest
Coping saw, rasp, file then decent quality wet and dry with a strip of gaffa tape across the back to reinforce it, then like Chad says and buff it like shoes with the knife in a vice.

VANDEEN

Nomad
Sep 1, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Using cheap sandpaper on a block instead of the constant flexing caused when just holding it in your hand will preserve the life of the sand somewhat;
if you've gone and got yourself stuck with a packet or two of it hope it helps.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
As has been said coping saw rasp file and then 80 grit decent quality paper/cloth is best for shaping. I use a belt sander but had tools work just as well but are slower.

http://www.screwfix.com/search.do?fh_search=sand+paper

Any sand paper that says coarse medium or fine is not worth buying show us the wood and paper so we may help more some wood clog paper badly however good it is.

Thetillerman71

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 9, 2012
Gloucester
I use a belt mounted sander, they are relatively cheap about 75 pounds from machine mart. But just a word of caution they will happily take off too much material and there is no going back

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE