Planning help with Norway please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
HI
I want to plan a weeks wild camping in early September next year in Norway .
I will probaly fly into Oslo or Bergen ,so am looking for tips on places that are reachable from Oslo or Bergen
any help.from you guys and gals would be appreciated.

thanks
phil

Last edited:

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
HI
I want to plan a weeks wild camping in early September next year in Norway .
I will probaly fly into Oslo or Bergen ,so am looking for tips on places that are reachable from Oslo or Bergen
any help.from you guys and gals would be appreciated.

thanks
phil
The Hardangervidda is accessible from Oslo. It's about 3hrs by car or you can get the train. The express train into Oslo leaves regularly from the airport.

Once in oslo train station, go where you wish. I went North by train to Varingskollen. I got off there and headed West. I spent a week basically walking about. Navigating to small creeks and ponds. I went in autumn.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Reactions: salad

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
The Hardangervidda is accessible from Oslo. It's about 3hrs by car or you can get the train. The express train into Oslo leaves regularly from the airport.

Once in oslo train station, go where you wish. I went North by train to Varingskollen. I got off there and headed West. I spent a week basically walking about. Navigating to small creeks and ponds. I went in autumn.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I just took a look at that , the trout fishing looks excellent there . thanks for the tip

Reactions: Van-Wild

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Excellent area. One of the more / easily accessible wild areas in Scandinavia.
Be prepared, it can get quite cold in that time of the year.

For fishing, you will need a fishing permit you can buy online, check with www.inatur.no

You might need several permits, depending how much you plan to walk!

For lots useful info, including the rules for their version of the 'Right to roam' go and check out www.visitnorway.com or the more Hardangervidda specific
https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrEwhHJCnldh5gA2lxXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTExcjZhcGFzBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDVUlDMV8xBHNlYwNzcg--/RV=2/RE=1568242506/RO=10/RU=https://www.visitnorway.com/places-to-go/eastern-norway/fishing-in-hardangervidda-national-park//RK=2/RS=5udqEazCdybFuC1AOG4e4ZWl8FY-

A quality map you get locally, but there are lots of trails to make it easier for tourists.
You will enjoy it, and it being a well visited area, at that time of the year it will be very quiet!

Last edited:

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Norway is really expensive, so make sure you have sufficient funds available to you.

Also, don't buy any spirits in pubs until you a) checked the price, b) double-checked the price and c) make sure you know what that converts to in GBP or whatever your home currency is. ;)

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Sara, you are a girl, so you are excused....

Alcohol is always a bargain, no matter the price! Specially beer. A nutritions, vegetable tisane/ infiusion. Vitamins, minerals, and a healthy dose of happiness!
:)

It is around 90-100 Nkr for a 0.6l .
Food is about +40% from UK I think?

He will catch fantastic fish, plenty of it, so he needs to bring a tube of Wasabi and a jar of pickled Ginger.

Reactions: salad and SaraR

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Sara, you are a girl, so you are excused....

Alcohol is always a bargain, no matter the price! Specially beer. A nutritions, vegetable tisane/ infiusion. Vitamins, minerals, and a healthy dose of happiness!
:)

It is around 90-100 Nkr for a 0.6l .
Food is about +40% from UK I think?

He will catch fantastic fish, plenty of it, so he needs to bring a tube of Wasabi and a jar of pickled Ginger.
Wouldn't say it was always a bargain, but I agree it's usually worthwhile. :) I spent a good chunk of the summer in Longyearbyen on Svalbard and made sure to properly acquaint myself with the variety of lovely beers made by the local brewery. :D

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Yes, I read about that brewery, they featured in the Widerø inflight magazine.

I have not been there yet, but plan to go next summer, for a couple of days.
We have to go to Tromso to IKEA to buy our kitchen, and it is an easy hop from there.

I have never seen a Polar bear, that is why I want to go.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Yes, I read about that brewery, they featured in the Widerø inflight magazine.

I have not been there yet, but plan to go next summer, for a couple of days.
We have to go to Tromso to IKEA to buy our kitchen, and it is an easy hop from there.

I have never seen a Polar bear, that is why I want to go.
In that case I can recommend "Dark Season" and "RAV Lager". :)

Reactions: salad and Janne

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I actually wanted to go to Norway to go fishing , but with both yours and Jannes tips it looks like I will end up going on a big drunken pub crawl;)
Small and tipsy maybe, with those prices!

You'll have a great time, I'm sure. It's a good time of year to go (bring warm gear!) and a beautiful area. Wouldn't know about the fishing so can't comment on that.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I have fished a lot in Norway ( even more in Sweden of course) and the fishing in mountain lakes and running waters is awesome.
True, fish are not huge, mostly quite small, but plentiful and very, very tasty,
Bring Ultra Light equipment!

To tell the truth, my civilian ‘bushcrafting ‘ and trekking , the main purpose was to fish.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE