Help with identification?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I photographed this in the lake at the local park. There were some terrapins nearby that I think have been released by owners who no longer want them and as I was phtographing those, this caught the corner of my eye. Any ideas?

turtle.jpg

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Scanker,
Haven't got a clue other than it certainly doesn't look like a native species to me. The snout makes it look like an air breathing animal to me, some sort of amphibian? Seems to be an increasing problem that people fed up looking after exotic pets just release them irresponsibly into the wild in the UK.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
That is definately a soft shell turtle, obviously not a native species. Some one obviosly got tired of their pet and dumped it... gits. It will probably be OK until winter :(

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Having looked at google images I would be happy to go with the one Galemy has come up with. It has the long narrow snout. Not a native so shame on the person who dumped it.

bogflogger

Nomad
Nov 22, 2005
london
Contact the RSPCA and your Local Council's Parks and Enviromental Health Departments.

Whatever it is, it should not have been dumped in the Lake like that and needs to be relocated somewhere more appropriate.

When will people learn that Pets are not Disposable Rubbish! :cussing:

Reactions: bambodoggy

Galemys

Settler
Dec 13, 2004
Zaandam, the Netherlands
Ketchup said:
Can you eat them?

I guess you can. In the japanese movie `tampopo` (a movie about the search for the perfect `ramen`, a japanese noodle snack) a water turtle (not sure if it is a softshell) is being prepared as a delicacy.
A good movie, but the turtle bit is not for the fainthearted.

Tom

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Here's the response I've just received from the Council's Biodiversity team:

Hello Neil, and thank you for your message.

It's a great photo and it certainly does look like a soft-shelled turtle. There has been a terrapin problem in Roath Park Lake for many years, and I believe that in the 90's there were efforts to remove them, but evidently some are still there. The main ecological interest is the population of overwintering and breeding wildfowl and it may well be the case that terrapins do take some of the young of these birds. However the damage that the terrapins cause in this respect is very difficult to measure, so for the moment we are monitoring the situation. Humane removal of the terrapins is very difficult, beyond draining the lake, and there is also the problem of what to do with the terrapins when caught.

There are also animal welfare issues relating to abandonment of the terrapins and to the injuries they cause to wildfowl, but these would be dealt with by the RSPCA.

We're sorry that we are unable to give a more definitive answer on this, but we'd be happy to keep you informed if there are any changes in our policy.

Yours etc....

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Can someone help with this? It has leaves like a sycamore, but some of the leaves are turning a lovely yellow orange in places. What puzzled me is the seeds grouped in threes rather than twos. Is this just a normal variation as I can't find it in the tree guides I have. Is it a sycamore or another variety of the maple?

The seeds

The leaf

The tree

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE