Help with finding a location in north yorkshire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 4, 2010
York
Hi

I am wondering of anybody can help. I run a DofE award group in York and rather than doing a standard expedition we are planning on doing a bushcraft style expedition where the group sleep under tarps or in a home made shelter and cook over fires etc.

At the moment I am having problems trying to find a suitable forest/wood that we can use overnight that will allow fires.

Does anyone know/have a suitable location that we can use or any idea of where I can find one?

Many thanks

Rob

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I have a friend who owns a bit of woodland up near Cropton.

Alternatively, there is a place ideal for any bushcraft expeditions; they even have a log house built with logs cut locally. It's over in lancashire, but doable by train then a 5mile walk. One of the people who lives there is a teacher and pretty good woodworker.

http://www.middlewood.org.uk/middlewood.html

Apr 4, 2010
York
Excellent thank you very much for the info guys - I have spent the last couple of weeks looking and less than 12 hours on here and I get some very useful feedback!

Thank you

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
the owner of Brockwell does ask that only dead wood be used,

some of the group here (inc myself) use the wood ofen and respect that,....

he is one of the few land owners who actually encourage the use of his land for bushcraft not just passively granting permission,..

i am wanting to have a go at a natural shelter too, but this time of year became aware that the amount of material i would have needed would have had quite an impact in our imediate area.

but i,m interested in your plans too,...

maybe keep checking in on here and coincide it with one of the meets here,...

i know Chris, (Lannyman8) could offer his skills in bowdrill use and most other firecraft ,....

and if anyone want a demo on how to burn their fingers on a mess tin i,m also happy to give some training,..

Cheers!,..

Stu,..

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
try Brockwell, its a wonderful wood and you could tie in with me some time in March, im there that month but dont know what dates yet.......

you wont go far wrong with the site, and cold do some walks of the other local woods as part of it, have a chat with Rancid Badger, he is local and can give names and rough locations of the woods and areas etc.....

hope this helps.

chris....

Apr 4, 2010
York
Many thanks again everyone. I definitely will be in contact with a few of those people

Many thanks again!

Rob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE