Help with a tree in Edinburgh Royal Infirmary please.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tantalus

Native
May 10, 2004
Galashiels
DSCN0088_zpsfb1175f3.jpg

More than a few of these dotted around car park D while waiting for a friend visiting a relative.

About 3 metres tall upright trees. Didnt notice leaves folding when touched or presence of thorns. Took a leaf thinking I could look it up and ended up more than a bit stumped really.

As far as I can get is mimosa though they tend to be plants or shrubs not really trees, or acacia without any thorns :confused:

Any help much appreciated.

Tantalus

Native
May 10, 2004
Galashiels
Fraid not, I did have a good look at it and assumed the leaf was distinctive enough to give me a good go at searching a decent tree ID site for it. Unfortunately I cant seem to find a "good" tree ID page.

Pretty sure it is not native though :D

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
What's the undersides of the needles like? were there any cones on the tree? Could be a Tsuga (Hemlock tree) quite often used in amenity plantings. Have a wee look HERE.

Myosotis

Jun 9, 2013
Leicester
Awesome thanks, I might have to go with the Bald Cypress though, trunk and bark were much like the picture in this linky

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxodium_distichum

You may be right, but it is unlikely that this tree would be planted in car parks. If the trees were only young it is unlikely that the bark and trunk would look like that of mature trees. With Taxodium distichum the leaflets on the leaves more often than not NOT opposite,whereas with Metasequoia glyptostroboides these leaflets are mostly opposite as in your picture. See: tree leaf. I'd still say this is Metasequoia glyptostroboides.
Regards, Myo.

Tantalus

Native
May 10, 2004
Galashiels
What's the undersides of the needles like? were there any cones on the tree? Could be a Tsuga (Hemlock tree) quite often used in amenity plantings. Have a wee look HERE.

Cheers Goatboy, much more a decidous tree though. Usually the floppy top on the Tsuga gives it away.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Cheers Goatboy, much more a decidous tree though. Usually the floppy top on the Tsuga gives it away.

If it's a deciduous needle bearing tree that'll bring the possibilities down to about 17 species and it's definitely not larch which cuts out about 13 of those leaving: -
  • Glyptostrobus pensilis (Chinese Swamp Cypress) (It's also definitely not one of these.)

• Taxodium distichum (Bald Cypress)

• Taxodium ascendens (Pond Cypress)

Tantalus

Native
May 10, 2004
Galashiels
To be honest they struck me more as mimosa/acacia leaves than needles. Certainly lacking any of the stiff waxy layers that make things like pine needles so umm needly (? is that even a word?)

If I ever go back I shall take some real pics , but hopefully - being a hospital car park and all that - I will not be needing to return for a good while :D

Have asked a buddy who works for the local council though, and hopefully he can give me a definitive answer as well.

In the meantime , thank you all for your help , and here is a little more on Dawn Redwoods

http://www.botanic.cam.ac.uk/Botanic/Plant.aspx?p=27&ix=32&pid=2765&prcid=4&ppid=2765

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE