Help with a Sleeping Bag for a Giant

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bigrich

Jan 26, 2011
Malvern
Hi All,

Hoping the taller members on the site might be able to help me. I'm looking for a sleping bag that will take a 6'8" man. I currently use an old German Army sleeping bag but after 20 years of service (sometimes chilly) I'm looking for something to replace it with.

So to all the giants and knowledgeable experts on here anyone know of a make or type that may suit.

Many thanks in advance

Rich

Tetley

Apr 21, 2008
Bremetannacum Vetenorum
Hi All,

Hoping the taller members on the site might be able to help me. I'm looking for a sleping bag that will take a 6'8" man. I currently use an old German Army sleeping bag but after 20 years of service (sometimes chilly) I'm looking for something to replace it with.

So to all the giants and knowledgeable experts on here anyone know of a make or type that may suit.

Many thanks in advance

Rich

I am 6'4" and use a Marmot Wave III long bag and have room to spare at the bottom of the bag :) official length is 198 cm which is about 6'6" but it is generous , rated down to -6 ( I have used it in a snowhole in Cairngorms quite happily) and RRP around £80 but occasionally can be found for sale as low as £40 which is what I paid for mine :D

Bigrich

Jan 26, 2011
Malvern
Hi Tetley thanks for that, I'll check them out and then start stalking ebay! :)

Any other sugestions anyone?

Rich

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
hibig rich just looked on the site for marmot wave 111 £85 got to be cheaper on ebay regards dave

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
The dedicated Carp fishing retailers might be worth a shot.
They certainly have some large bags for those that stay out for days on end in their quest for specimen fish.

I haven't checked so it might be a highway to nothing, you never know.

ATB

Ogri the trog

chris_r

Nomad
Dec 28, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
I took delivery of an Alpkit Skyehigh 600 today in a large. I'm 6' 3" and there's still a good deal of room inside. The regular is 2100mm overall and according to their web site is suitable for folk up to 6' 1". The large measures 2300mm, which is an extra 200mm or 8". Might be worth a look. I've not been out in it yet, but so far I'm really impressed. I'll let you know how it performs after the weekend.

Bigrich

Jan 26, 2011
Malvern
All,

Thanks very much for your input and suggestions I'll enjoy trying to narrow it down to the biggest possible :)

Regards

Rich

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Hi Rich.
I'm 6'6" and have been suffering half-bags for years but am now in heaven as my new down bag has loads of room and would fit you easy.
It's a North Face Blue Kazoo in XXLong and is a 4-season bag and warm as toast.On the minus side it is fairly heavy and would have been
over £200 if I hadn't managed to barter for it.
If it is in budget though you should get one as it is the ONLY "long" bag that has ever been long enough to keep me properly warm without keeping my down jacket on all night.
Good luck.I'd be interested to know what you eventually get.
Cheers , Simon

yeha

Tenderfoot
Oct 4, 2009
North Yorkshire
I've just got the Alpkit Skyehigh 800. It fits me at approx 6'5" but I think the shoulder baffles are a bit low. There a lot left above the baffles and up into the hood. For the price it's very good although I wish it was a centre zip.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I got a Marmot fusion 30 In XL a few years ago (down inner primaloft outside) suitable down to something like -1C. It is supposed to be for up to 6'6" but I am 6'5" and I woke up with my arms folded above my head inside the hood and my feet were clear of the foot. Don't know how they measured the 6'6" max user dimension but they were wrong by what must be best part of a foot.

Don't sell them anymore but I am guessing that any Marmot bag in their XL dimensions would be the same.

Another solution is to try any of the main manufacturers but contact them, their distributers or their major retailers and ask for the max user sizes of their XL versions. Most big names will do XL bags for a premium and major retailers would be able to special purchase them (perhaps for a special purchase fee).

Another idea is try Golite. They do rather nice and light bags and quilts. I got one of their quilts in XL and it covers well over my shoulders without my feet being anywhere near the foot, even with my toes pointed. No hood on the quilts but a good baffle and hood on their bags. My quilt was £100 in a sale but you won't find one for anywhere near that price. Good to -7C too. Wear a hat or balaclave though.

Seriously have you asked about XL in any of the usualy makes? ME, TNF, Rab, Snugpak and Marmot?? They mostly do them to special order.

Another option if you want seriously good kit that is light and highly specced is PHD (Pete Hutchison Designs). They do a "Design Your Own" service for a premium. You can design it to your exact specification and if this service doesn't allow for one long enough for you (it will) then call them. All bags are pretty much made in UK to order so you order it and they make it how you want. They are a little bit like Aiguille Alpine in that they are a kind of cottage industry but a bit bigger.

BTW Pete Hutchison was one of the early designers at ME who through his talent for designing gear and clothing, particularly anything in down, became one of their top designers. He left them and set up PHD to focus on the best designs and materials to achieve lightweight products. Basically that is what their focus is. Once got told that PH has forgotton more about down bags than most of the current designers know!!

PS PHD has a sale on now so you might be able to buy an XL minim 3 or 5 at cheapish prices. These are good spec bags that are only available as design your own normally. Most PHD bags have 200, 400, 600, etc numbers but these 300 and 500 are kind of more practical temp ranges. Seriously, look at PHD sales as they often offer the XLs at about £30 more than the standards. If you call them I am sure they would let you know if the XL is big enough. If not then work your charm and they might make an XXL in one of the sale bags and not charge you much for the special. I know someone who called and asked for a special in one of their sales items and they made it up especially and it arrived about a week later.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
I've just got the Alpkit Skyehigh 800. It fits me at approx 6'5" but I think the shoulder baffles are a bit low. There a lot left above the baffles and up into the hood. For the price it's very good although I wish it was a centre zip.

Agreed... you would be good height wise, but may find the baffle a little 'neat'...
I'm 6.6 and there's a good 3" left of free play without compressing the footbox. I just get the baffle around my upper shoulders.

Very well made down bags for the £... Probably my best purchase to-date.

al.

Dec 13, 2010
Lancaster UK

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
PHD have a sale on. Call them and ask if they are selling a minim 300 or 500 in XL. They are probably snug but long and very light and very welkl made. Also if it is in the sale you are probably talking just into the £200 at most but you'd be getting some of the best made lightweight sleeping bags out there.

Of course they may say that there are no XLs in the sale and the DYOB deal comes out expensive like for Freddyfish. Of course there is a tendancy to over spec on that thing. I did the same and then worked back to a reasonable price but still made a bag that would do what I needed. You don't need all the options they give you.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE