help with 1st project needed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Caleb

Tenderfoot
Dec 23, 2005
peterborough
hi folks

I have started looking in to making my first knive, but raelly do not feel able to do the heat treatment bit. I am on a very tight budget so does any one have any ideas were i can but pre hardened steel so I only need to shape it. Also if anyone has a template I would be very greatful.
I am looking at a basic ray mears style but with i will add a butt plate like the one bearclaw do on there knife.
Any help greatly appreciated.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Hi Caleb,
The theory is good but in practice, you'd have the devils own job of working hard steel and keeping it that way as most methods of working will generate lots of heat.
The heat treatment is nothing to be affraid of, and the good thing about O1 is that if you think you've messed up - just go back a try it again. I've done a lot of heat treating in my coal fired kitchen range and it works fine. Get a good roar going and heat the steel until a magnet will no longer stick to it (this means the iron is absorbing the carbon to make it harder) then Quench the blade in some warmed oil (any oil will do). Have a bit of a clean up and polish the blade back to bare metal - next step is tempering - gently warm the blade until you start to see a yellow/straw colour - once done, allow the blade to cool to room temperature slowly and after another clean up you're good to go! If you heat it too fast and the steel goes to a blue colour, don't fret - just do the non-magnetic and quench again and start over.

If you are really unable to do this, Steve Wade Cox (www.swc-handmade-knives.com) offers a service whereby you purchase a blade blank and work it to whatever shape you want - then return it to him for heat treatment. He then sends it back to you for handling and finishing.

It really is worth a try doing it yourself - the satisfaction is tremendous.

ATB

Ogri the trog

J

jnlrnc

Hi Caleb

I'm just making a knife from a 1943 butcher's knife I found at a market for a tenner. If you don't heat it up as you shape it, it should keep its original hardness

Good luck

John

chrisanson

Nomad
Apr 12, 2006
Dudley
if you have real trouble you could send it to me and I will do it for you and post it back. But it realy isn’t that hard to do as ogri said.
PM me if you get stuck
chris

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Its probably easier to just copy one of your existing knives just trace it onto paper and change the bits you dont like ;)

Also get your self signed up at www.britishblades.com there are loads of guys who will help you with any knife related questions plus lots of experience makers and tutorials.

Lots of members here are also members there ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE