Help waterproofing my hat!

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
I got one of those Brazilian tarp hats. I have just done afencing job and it was raining a lot. I now have a saturated hat and a wet head.

I have sprayed the hat with nikwax a few weeks back but that obviously didn't help.

Could I rub dubbing into it, do you think?

Or has anyone else any other suggestions?

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Now you've already waxed it, I think you are stuck with just adding more wax.

A canvas hat is never going to be 100% waterproof in lashing rain.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yep, now you'll nbeed to wax it. The original was never meant to be waterproof. It's a tropical hat that was meant to protect from sun and breath easily.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I'd get the missus' hairdrier and a pot of Barbour type wax Chris. I might do mine actually, should darken it nicely too.

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
I'd just buy an actual waterproof hat to use in the rain. Anything else helps for a small shower, but won't keep you dry in prolonged rain.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Outdoor Research Seattle Sombrero for me. Completely waterproof, and the longer brim at the back means no wet collar. Mines 5/6 years old and still perfect.

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
I'd get the missus' hairdrier and a pot of Barbour type wax Chris. I might do mine actually, should darken it nicely too.

I'd just buy an actual waterproof hat to use in the rain. Anything else helps for a small shower, but won't keep you dry in prolonged rain.

I thought it was supposed to be waterproof. I will probably get something else then and keep this for the summer.

Big G

Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
They more a hot weather / summer hat.

Not worth, imho messing with it, trying to make it waterproof.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I thought it was supposed to be waterproof. I will probably get something else then and keep this for the summer.

No. They're made from untreated, recycled canvas tarps. The wire in the edge of the brim is recycled from used tires. Brilliant hat for warm or hot weather (after all, it's from Brazil) but the only use it has for rain is to keep the drops from hitting your eyes or glasses.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
I love my Tilley waxed hat for the winter but that's probably not a lot of help for you. Have you tried the walking boot proofer? If it will stick to the hat it should be much better than the fabric clothing proofer for what you need, you'll probably need to wash the wax off of the hat though.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~

I contacted Tarp Hat to ask them about what treatment their hats have and they told me that they're re-proofed once made but end of the day they're canvas. Canvas will absorb moisture and leak eventually.

They recommend regular treating with fabsil which I do (well I use the Aldi equivalent) and it's held up in some serious rain but I don't wear it expecting to stay 100% dry. So long as the rain is out of my eyes I'm happy :)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I contacted Tarp Hat to ask them about what treatment their hats have and they told me that they're re-proofed once made but end of the day they're canvas. Canvas will absorb moisture and leak eventually.....

Mine came untreated. Both the first one and the replacement they sent when I returned the first (first one was to big) Are we talking about the same company? Real Deal Brazil?

KirsteenA

Tenderfoot
Oct 25, 2016
North of the Wall
It might be worth looking at products for waterproofing horse rugs? Outdoor 'New Zealand' rugs were originally canvas though synthetic fabrics tend to be used now so they won't necessarily work on your hat, but if they do they should be good - given they have to be effective during really prolonged exposure and stand up to abrasion and dirt.

I know of one company who only sell products they use and rate, but when I asked the owner she couldn't say how the waterproofing formula they stock would work on canvas, as she'd not used it on that material personally. I can pass on the product details if you like though. It comes in spray-on or wash in options, the former would be really convenient for a small item.

Big G

Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
I was referring to applying waxing and stuff to the hat, the way i see it is they more a summer hat.

I no they come treated with fabsil, but i'd rather let the hat breathe, esp when wearing it in hot weather.

Just my twopence.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
My brother had a wool flat hat, every time he checked the oil on a tractor or land rover he wiped the dipstick on his hat, superbly waterproof. He was furious when Mum washed it one day !

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE