help ! too many runner beans.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

northumbrian

Settler
Dec 25, 2009
newcastle upon tyne
As the title says , I have to many runner beans. I have processed them just by slicing them in to 1 inch lengths and frozen them.
But the problem I have is what shall I do with them all ? Any recipe's gratefully received.

cheers

Andrew.

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Only recently I made some runner bean wine. It sounds awful, but I am told it actually tastes good.
I've also tried this with some of my runners this year,
http://www.monistical.com/3/post/2011/09/spiced-green-bean-chutney.html
it needs leaving three months, but smelled gorgeous when I sealed up the jars, so I have every hope for it.

Personally, I find runner beans pretty awful things and grow less and less each year. They are only nice when they are small and stringless, I've tried freezing them blanched, cooked and raw, but mostly they are awful and end up becoming compost. I mostly grow French climbing beans now. I can do all the things I would do with runners, but they can be used in stir fries, curries, salads, pickles and they freeze well. More importantly they defrost well. I have even dehydrated them and used them to good effect.

if the neighbours aren't already running away and shutting their doors at the sight of yet more free runner beans, give the damned things away as fast as you can!

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
I put a sign up and sold the excess for 50p a pound a few years back, also gave away to work colleagues and friends and neighbours.

bob_the_baker

May 22, 2012
Swansea
+1 to runner bean wine, it does come out like a dry sherry, honest. Also runner bean chutney is fantastic with a pasty or in a cheese sandwich

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Runner beans, par boiled then finished off in a pan with butter and curry powder or butter and thin strips of ham plus garlic :)

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
When my runner beans are past there best and too stringy to eat as such, I shell the beans and eat them that way, and what is left over after that I let dry and sow for next years crop.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE