help the worst has happened

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
hi everyone
iv got the highlander military basha and its been good to me over the 2yrs iv had it, i camped out on sunday nite and a gust of wind came towards blowing a small ember from my fire towards the basha and made a small whole "aaaaahhhh!!!" i said.
now iv tried fixing it with super glue and electrical tape but i know its there, its not the same no more.
im gonna buy a new one ans i am very temped to get the same one again but i am also temped to get a DD tarp 3x3.
out of the 2 highlander basha vs DD Tarp which obe would you buy?
and why?

please help im stuck on this one

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
your rite im gonna give patching it a go use it until its dead, im sure someone will have DD at the sussex meet i can look at

chris_r

Nomad
Dec 28, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
I've got both. The Highlander is for the ground and the DD is for the hammock. You could stitch some PU ripstop on and proof it with seam sealer. That way you'll have some experience should you need to make emergency repairs in the future. Unless you're gonna be swinging I'd stick with the little fella.

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Best to fix it.
Super glue dries hard, so as others have said if using a glue use a rubberised one and a small patch.
I will be taking my Tatonks 3x3 tarp to the Sussex meet so you can see what the opposition have to offer.

outdoorpaddy

Nomad
Mar 21, 2011
Northern Ireland
Here's a tip I picked up from a guy who I met at woodlore who is an uber light backpacker and basically customised his tarp so that it works exactly as he wanted it to. He was telling me about re-inforcing certain parts of it and how he made the separate parts adhere to each other by ironing them together. Something that I have yet to try myself but worth a go I would say.
Hope this helps

outdoorpaddy

Ivanhoe

Forager
Aug 28, 2011
Sweden
Things are'nt real outdoor kit until you give them their first battle scars!

Until then you can't really use them. Ask the misses to teach you how to
use a sawing machine! After that no wounds to your gear will be hard to
fix! It will change your whole idea about gear...

Outdoor gear are supposed to look worn, fixed and mended.

S5030084_zps562b486d.jpg

Here's a patch sawn on to a £800 tent that blew away over the horizon
while a mate and I were sleeping next to it on a remote island in the sea...

Finally the tent is initiated and can be used properly, like leaving it in the
woods for long periods without worrying about it.

Fix your tarp and keep using it! :)

Last edited:

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
im giving fixing it a go, I love the basha to much, its not dead yet and i can patch the thing easy enough. thanx for the advice guys, its like you say its a war scar ;)

Things are'nt real outdoor kit until you give them their first battle scars!

Until then you can't really use them.

Outdoor gear are supposed to look worn, fixed and mended.

Fix your tarp and keep using it! :)

SO TRUE! There is little sadder [or more effete] than someone who has all mint gear
'the first one breaks your heart - but by scratch three every one tells a tale' - my bro

Have fun
SBW

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE