Help! Silva Helios Lighter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
Hi, I've got a problem with my lighter. I know that a lot of people aren't too keen on the Silva lighters but mine's been okay, apart from the release button failing, but I can work around that. I tend to keep the lighter in my admin pouch but only really use it for fusing the ends of paracord. Which is what I was doing a couple of days ago, making zipper tabs for my new Dan Cam Arktis smock. I cut a number of paracord lengths and was systematically fusing their ends when the lighter ran out of fuel.

The refuelling can was downstairs and I decided that it would take less time if I unscrewed the base of the lighter ready for refilling as I descended the stairs. I remember looking at the 'phone and thinking that I should call Mummy today. I also noticed the some bits and pieces by the door that needed to go into the paper recycling bag, so scooped them up. Off I went to the utility room (not as exciting as it sounds), popped the paper in the recycling, refilled the lighter, and then wondered where the unscrewed base for the lighter was.

I spent the rest of that day and much of consequent days searching that last route and other places that I hadn't been, but no sign of the unscrewed bit :confused:

I've resorted to coming here, my one and only refuge, to ask if anone has a spare base for the lighter (or one that they don't want). I'm more than willing buy, pay for postage, etc.

Thanks for putting up with my sorry tale of woe.

Claudiasboris

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
Hi LP, I haven't tried Silva yet but I have heard some pretty poor things from them regarding customer service, especially on the Helios. Still, you don't know 'til you try. Cheers!

Claudiasboris

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
I just got a reply from Silva asking for my address so that they can send me a replacement free of charge. I take back everything I said in my last post and try not to let hearsay get the better of me in future.

Silva: great customer service!

Thanks Lostplanet, good advice!

Claudiasboris

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Good Job, sure my previous experince was good with Silva.

See them on ebay now for £12, I paid a lot more for mine if I remember correct.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Dunno if you have had trouble re-filling the helios, I usually get a ball point pen, hold the lighter upside down and then touch the valve to get rid of the Air locks, then refil and repeat till full.
Might help if you find it stopping for no apparent reason whilst burning.

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
Two crew-on bases arrived in the post today from Silva. Very impressed with their customer service.

Thanks for the help Lostplanet!

Claudiasboris

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE