Help required with Wool picker dimensions.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
Are there any wool spinners out there who use a box type Wool picker who could help me. I am constructing one at the moment and would appreciate information about the nail distribution from someone who has got one. I think I need to know the number of rows of nails, direction and angle also the distance between the nails and between rows. For both the top and bottom pieces. I assume the nails in the top piece pass between the bottom nails so they don't lock together but I can't see from pictures by how much they overlap. I have looked at pictures online and probably any guess I make won't be too far out. But I would have more confidence about it if I knew the dimensions weren't too far out.Is there any advantage in having the nail sets removable to adjust how agressively it works?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
There you go, we learn something every day :D
I've never seen one before, and I've been spinning for a heck of a long time.
We pick over a fleece before we comb or card, remove the dags, etc.,
I think it looks more like our combing process; sort of.

Interesting :) and interested to hear how you get on with it too :cool:

cheers,
Mary

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
I bought a spinning wheel from a charity shop (ashford trad) last year and spun some flax but didn't have any other use for it. But recently my wife saw someone had knitted a scarf using a hemp and wool mix which she liked. So she bought some wool and hemp fibres and I offered to mix and spin some for her. I have finished that and thought it would be good to do some more wool spinning and so I have bought a fleece. As I like to make things and make things easier for myself a wool picker seemed like an easier/quicker way of preparation that combing. I am really totally new to spinning so I have lots to learn about everything.
I made the box for a wool picker yesterday before work and the I am going to get some nails today. But I won't be able to get on with it until monday due to work.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE