help please!-info on Les Howis Bows Ltd

Mar 12, 2009
Scotland
Hi
Forgive me if I'm posting in completely the wrong section (hope someone will be able to point me in the right direction!!)

I've been given a bow which really isn't my area of expertise (in fact I know nothing about them!) I know its quite old but that about it and would love to just know some more info about it/its makers/ or anywhere I would find some info on it!.

Its a Les Howis Marksmans bow - 'Portland' with the numbers 822234.69?(could be 6g).36x28 (What do these numbers mean?)

Thanks in advance for any help you can give
Jo

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
Les was a great man and a great British bowyer now long dead. And marksman went shortly after it was a family business and I heard that they did not have the heart to continue after Les died. I remember calling him when my bow was stolen in Cambridge with all the paper work on the off change that he had records. He called me back and 'was amazed by his organisation ;)' that he had found the full details of the bow he had made 9 years before. When I found the bow in a second hand shop and got it back he offered to check it over. Next time I was home I went over to the factory/shop just outside Worksop and he checked it over saying it was good to see the 'old girl' again and he would not take any money for it and was just glade he had helped in me getting it back.

Right back to the bow.

The Portland was a great bow and Dave is right in that the draw weight is 36 lb at 28" the other number are the limb serial number (check that they are the same top and bottom as they were made as a pair) that's the 822234.69 . The 69 denotes that limb and riser combo is a 69" which is good for and adult mans draw length although at 36lb which is a bit on the light side it would suite a gangaly youth as well.

Cap'n Badger

Maker
Jul 18, 2006
Port o' Cardiff
''clcuckow....The Portland was a great bow and Dave is right in that the draw weight is 36 lb at 28" the other number are the limb serial number (check that they are the same top and bottom as they were made as a pair) that's the 822234.69 . The 69 denotes that limb and riser combo is a 69" which is good for and adult mans draw length although at 36lb which is a bit on the light side it would suite a gangaly youth as well''

They are a good beginers recurve take down bow if it's been stored well. (don't leave it strung fer too long wi'out usin' it or anywhere near a radiator!). If it is a 69''er it will need 64'' (non kevlar) string. Also check t' see if the 'limbs' are still straight (put them together an' see ifin they 'toe in' or 'toe out' at the points. Once ye sting it up....the string will follow the grooves on the back o' the limb.(pull it once o' twice an' check it again....) If the string has slipped off the grooves...it will need new limbs......(Not good when yer at full draw an' they come away!....nearly lost me tackle last time that happened!:yikes:) I have a set o' sights an' screw in shaft push fer one o' those goin' ifin ye want em' matey...pm me.:headbang:

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk
If you do know nothing about bows at all, please remember to string it up the right way round.
The ends of the limbs point away from you before you string, not as I have seen total noobs do it with the tips towards themselves (as thats the 'obvious way') thereby bending the entire bow in the direction its never supposed to go.....lucky for them solid glassfibre 'jelly bows' are much more forgiving then proper recurves

Sorry if I seem to be teaching the noble art of egg-sucking, but I'd rather I sounded like a prat then you kill a nice bow

Try Quicks Archery for a string, not the cheapest but they will tell you how to measure the bow to get the right string (www.quicks.com)

Colin.W

Nomad
May 3, 2009
Weston Super Mare Somerset UK
I was searching the www for info on a bow I've just been offered and it directed me here to this old posting. I have my hoyt horizon recurve with all the sights, stabilisers etc. but have recently been getting into bare bow shooting, one of the club members has offered me his old Les Howis one piece hunter, nice smooth action it's got a few minor scuffs but generally in good nick for it's age would any one know what a reasonable price would be. the seller does have a reputation for putting a profit on everything and he knows I do like the feel of the bow a lot

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE