Help needed with Stove & Tipi combo

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

think

Jul 19, 2011
Yorkshire Dales
Hi guys, we have decided for 2 weeks in Cornwall this year and the kids want to camp. The last time we were camping down there it was wet and still quite cold so most evenings were spent in our sleeping bags. This year I have around £800 (can stretch to £1000 if needed) and ideally want to buy a tipi and wood/pellet burning stove. The idea being whilst we are out I can have it running low on some pellets and then when we get home (most likley cold and damp) I can throw a few logs on and we are set for a toasty evening.

Ideally I want a sewn in groundsheet if possible and obviously needs a hole for the chimney to exit. There will be myself, my wife, 2 kids and a dog so not sure what size I would need. Finally I keep hearing about all these people killing themselves in tents recently, how safe is a stove in a tipi?

Regards

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
There is(or was recently)a bell tent with woodburner for sale on SOTP, i think about £350, could be worth a look.

Rob

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
Tipis and stoves are great, but the sloping walls seriously restrict the useable space, so you need something much bigger than you think you need. Also, because the door runs up the sides, when it's raining rain comes straight into the tent, so the space around the doorway is lost. Most people rig some sort of tarp to protect the entrance, but that can have its own problems if it's windy.

There are only two of us, but we found that when we gave in and moved to using camp beds, the slope of the walls in our 4m tipi meant we could barely fit them in along with two camp chairs if the weather forced us inside, certainly no room for a wood burner. Which is the other issue, if you have a wood burner you are going you need to have a clear space to move around it. We now have a 5.3m tipi and it's much more useable.

A bell tent as Southy suggested is a much more useable space than a tipi as the vertical walls mean that all the floor space is available, but they tend to be much heavier and bulkier than a tipi is, so make sure you look at the weights and packed sizes. When we looked at Bell tents, it looked as if that would be all we could get into the boot !

You can get good quality bell tents cheaper than good quality tipis, but tipis are easier to put up.

Even with the walls, circular tents tend to be a more a more difficult space to fit into than rectangular spaces, so I would still have gone for something bigger than you think you need. Seeing the different sizes pitched is important.

A lot depends on how you camp, there is certainly plenty of room for sleeping mats and sleeping bags for four and a dog in either the 4m tipi or bell tent, but living in one during bad weather would be fairly cramped. I would go for a minimum of 5m for the Tipi, and while a 4 m bell tent will probably give you as much space as a 5m tipi, I would still probably go for a 5m Bell tent. It will give you much more safe space around the stove.

As for stoves, it's difficult to go past the frontier stove, if you have the room to carry it. http://www.campingsolutions.co.uk/stoves/frontier-stove/

With a chimney the gases are taken outside, so with a bit of ventilation and common sense there should be no problems with running a wood burner in a tent.

Graham

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
Carbon monoxide builds up from the ground up, so you really need ventilation at that level..... Choices are yours...

No it doesn't CO is lighter than air, and builds up at the top of the tent, that is where you need the ventilation. I'm not sure where this idea of it building up at ground level came from, because that is what I thought as well at one time, before I started to read up about it.

Graham

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
Doesnt matter either way when all the hot gasses are going up the chimney

Very true, assuming that is in fact what is happening, but there is a more general point about CO behaviour, relevant to stoves and open fires in tents, where it's rather important to know where the CO is going.

Graham

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
A bell tent as Southy suggested is a much more useable space than a tipi as the vertical walls mean that all the floor space is available, but they tend to be much heavier and bulkier than a tipi is, so make sure you look at the weights and packed sizes. When we looked at Bell tents, it looked as if that would be all we could get into the boot !

A lot depends on how you camp, there is certainly plenty of room for sleeping mats and sleeping bags for four and a dog in either the 4m tipi or bell tent, but living in one during bad weather would be fairly cramped. I would go for a minimum of 5m for the Tipi, and while a 4 m bell tent will probably give you as much space as a 5m tipi, I would still probably go for a 5m Bell tent. It will give you much more safe space around the stove.

As for stoves, it's difficult to go past the frontier stove, if you have the room to carry it. http://www.campingsolutions.co.uk/stoves/frontier-stove/

With a chimney the gases are taken outside, so with a bit of ventilation and common sense there should be no problems with running a wood burner in a tent.

Graham

+1. I have a 4m bell tent for meets which sleeps us 5 easily and maybe snugly with a stove which we've yet to get. I would recommend a 5m bell and a frontier stove (I have spent a LOT of time researching stoves!)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I noticed yesterday that Tamarack had a couple of Helsport tipis with 40%, around £299 for the outer I think

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE