Help needed Which PC to buy?

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Ok my mum, in her seventies, wrote down on a piece of paper the name of a machine she saw in her local supermarket, no idea if its any good
She just does a bit of browsing, emailing and skyping with her friends down under, so I would have though it would be ok for her?
Is it worth buying? I think she likes it because theres no tower. And at the moment shes got some sort of old dell thing I think.

It should be ok right?
Thanks.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/12/...ves-the-uk-an-understated-24-inch-all-in-one/

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Just read the spec on the machine, Dave, and in my view it's perfect for someone like your Mum; I'd have one myself. That'll do all you mention that she wants to do, has plenty of storage and memory and the latest Windows..............Switch on and go!

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Would she not be better off with a tablet of some flavour? If its only for browsing and a bit of skyping that should be all she needs.
Much cheaper and doesn't have to take up a while desk.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Looks good to me, but I'm not a technical person.

I thought all teenagers were experts in PC's Cameron. :) Nice to see one, who's more interested in country pursuits.

Just read the spec on the machine, Dave, and in my view it's perfect for someone like your Mum; I'd have one myself. That'll do all you mention that she wants to do, has plenty of storage and memory and the latest Windows..............Switch on and go!

right great stuff. Cheers Mac. thats'll do then.

Would she not be better off with a tablet of some flavour? If its only for browsing and a bit of skyping that should be all she needs.
Much cheaper and doesn't have to take up a while desk.

Shes got a tablet dwardo, but wants one of these i think, dont know why.

I'll give her a call and tell her to go for it then.

Ta.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
I thought all teenagers were experts in PC's Cameron. :) Nice to see one, who's more interested in country pursuits.

Couldn't be further from the truth. Just because we were brought up in the computer age doesn't mean we're all tech wizards. Most people my age are clueless about technology. Sure, some know what an "app" is and some know how to play online Flash games, but that's about it for the majority. Just because teenagers live with computers doesn't mean they all know what about Arithmetic Logic Units or Address Buses, or Object-Oriented Programming.

Some actually have an interest in real computing AND the outdoors. I got a fairly high grade in computer programming in school 4 years back and built a few PCs myself.

Go to any retail shop nowadays and they'll have a PC that'll probably have a standard of 4-8gb or RAM, 500gb HDD, a decent sized monitor and everything else. Heck, for what your mother needs you could use a 10 year old computer.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE