Help needed for translation to Finnish...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

outdoorgirl

Sep 25, 2004
nr Minehead
Hopefully Abbe or someone is looking in, as I need some help with translation to Finnish. As some of you may know, I'm off to Finnish Lapland in a couple of weeks time. Although I hope to get in plenty of outdoor activity, the real reason for going is that a freind of mine is getting married. She is organising the wedding menu with the hotel, and we are having some difficulty in getting the 'special dietary requirements' for a number of the party across... :)

We have a Vegan, a Vegetarian, someone who can't eat chilli peppers, and someone who can't have anything with cow's milk in it... (I have no idea if reindeer milk is OK) :)

Can anyone suggest how we communicate this, as so far the response we have had is this:
...I will send request to our chef, that if he have possible done
something special menu for you frend, something same types as you´ll
take.

It's hard enough sometimes getting special dietary requirements across in English, let alone in other languages! :)

Hoping for some help...

ODG/Pip

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My eldest speaks Finnish and has friends there too. He tells me they couteously make it easy for others by all learning English :D If you get nowhere with this pm me and I'll speak to Jamie for you.
atb,
Toddy

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
I'm surprised that the hotel staff don't speak English.

Maybe it's the concepts they can't understand. :p

Have a great time at the wedding and in the country. :)

outdoorgirl

Sep 25, 2004
nr Minehead
The level of English doesn't seem to be the problem, necessarily - it's the concept of not being able to eat certain foods... :) Think of the classic scene in 'The Royle family' where granny is told that the new girlfreind is vegetarian and doesn't eat meat... only for grannie to say: 'ham is OK, though?'... :)

I know a lot of countries don't have any real concept of vegetarianism (let alone Vegans!), and odd food allergies/intolerances can often be more complicated...

I'm sure we'll manage, and have every expectation of having a fantastic time! :)

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I have plenty of Finns in my family but I dont think they would understand the concepts involved either.

Vegitarian is what reindeer eat, ok?

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
outdoorgirl said:
Hopefully Abbe or someone is looking in, as I need some help with translation to Finnish. As some of you may know, I'm off to Finnish Lapland in a couple of weeks time. Although I hope to get in plenty of outdoor activity, the real reason for going is that a freind of mine is getting married. She is organising the wedding menu with the hotel, and we are having some difficulty in getting the 'special dietary requirements' for a number of the party across... :)

We have a Vegan, a Vegetarian, someone who can't eat chilli peppers, and someone who can't have anything with cow's milk in it... (I have no idea if reindeer milk is OK) :)

Can anyone suggest how we communicate this, as so far the response we have had is this:
...I will send request to our chef, that if he have possible done
something special menu for you frend, something same types as you´ll
take.

It's hard enough sometimes getting special dietary requirements across in English, let alone in other languages! :)

Hoping for some help...

ODG/Pip
Pip, hunting around I found the following which might help;
I'm a vegan - Olen vegaani
I'm a vegetarian - Olen kasvissyöjä
meat - liha
milk - maito
egg - kananmuna
cheese - juusto
I found this from Vegaaniliitto, The Vegan Society of Finland

It appears the percentage of veggies is not great "Approximately 1-5 % of the Finnish people are vegetarians" ;)

I believe lactose free = laktoositon

But that may not be the same as a milk allergy? See the post for more details.
You have the word for milk anyhow ;)

Info from this post:
Maitojuoma "milk drink" should mean it is lactose-free (laktoositon). My MIL drinks Valio ProFeel vähäenergiainen maitojuoma specifically because it is lactose-free.
source: Finnish milk question

Finnish for chilli pepper = Chilipippuri ;)

Good luck!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've just spoken to J, he said, "No worries, they understand the concepts just fine (one of his Finnish girlfriends was a Vegetarian) but they can be, or rather they can sound, grumpy. Virtually everyone understands and speaks competent English. Don't take a brusque reply as meaning *no*. Fruit and veg are relatively expensive but they have a sweet tooth on a par with us, and food that we wouldn't expect to contain meaty bits here, won't there.......oh and they love Tetley tea and Tunnock's teacakes :rolleyes: "
He's on his way to the climbing wall but says he will send me the link to an excellent Finnish colloquial dictionary.

Makes you wonder sometimes just how other Nationalities sum us up, doesn't it? :D

Cheers,
Toddy

N

Nordica Heat

have you guys ever been to finland and tried the local dishes. like the makaronilaatikko. lihapulla...mustamakkara..

i'd rather say that Finns consume a lot of heavy meat and of course alkoholia..

anyway. there's nothing to do in the winter especially when you live in the north..except drinking..eating .and..having fun..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE