Help !! Need a smock pattern

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I have got hold of a couple of nice wool blankets and fancy having a go at making a smock in the Swazi kinda look or like the one below. Does anyone have a pattern and any good tips that I could follow... (it's my first go at making my own clothing)... Cheers in advance.

D

Boreal1.jpg

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Good luck Dave and keep us posted on your progress. I've never done anything like that either and would be interested to see how a first timer gets on.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Have a look at this.

If you use a T-shirt a couple of sizes too big and do a trial run (or 2) in an old sheet or some such, you should, with a bit of tweaking & modding here and there, end up with what you're after.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
How about this one ... I have a basic pattern .. that fits me... but it is very basic!
It is a full size pattern (on wall paper) that I designed myself based on a "Viking pattern" off the web but I cannot find it again!
I think Ogri had a schematic for something similar...
Oct25752.jpg

Oct25753.jpg

Oct25751.jpg

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Have a look at this.

If you use a T-shirt a couple of sizes too big and do a trial run (or 2) in an old sheet or some such, you should, with a bit of tweaking & modding here and there, end up with what you're after.

That makes sense, so if I mess up royally, at least I have the raw material for char cloth :D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Would there be much interest in a do it together kind of thread ?

HWMBLT needs a new 'hoodie'. I'm bored out of my tree stuck indoors just now.
I have the wool, and I have no intention of giving as much fitting detail as Big Swede is doing. I suspect his will be a benchmark :) but if folks want to rustle up a blanket, or woollen cloth, or canvas, I'll happily talk through the process.

"Somewhere" on the forum are photos of a marled brown one and another dark green one that I made for him several years ago.
The thrice-damned search engine has me stumped :sigh:

Anyway, it's not rocket science to make a bushshirt, just a bit of patience and some wool :)

cheers,
M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Brilliant :) Thank you :notworthy:
I tried everything from hoodie, to gore, to gusset, and even on Google I was getting nowhere :eek:

Right then; like that but we can change the collar shape, the pockets, can add a kangaroo pouch, adjust the sit down back length, make the neckline lace up.....as I said, it's not rocket science, just a wee bit of forethought and patience :)

cheers,
M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE