Help !! Need a smock pattern

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Okay then, let's do this :D

I'll take photos tomorrow, but for now, have a wee think about what you 'actually' want. Think about pockets, the neckline, the hood shape and how you would like the front fastened.
Then draw some sketches.
That's what we'll aim for for everyone who participates. We're no' making uniforms here :D

Oh, and measure your fabric too; have a think about the cuffs and hems if you're using a blanket with stripes. Yes or no, to them basically.

cheers,
Mary

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I think Ogri had a schematic for something similar...
My schematic was for my ventile smock which has different arm/shoulder area layout - but it works - kind-of!
SmockBasic1.jpg

Image0090.jpg

Not a patch on what Mary will come up with, I'm sure!

ATB

Ogri the trog

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That's a neat pattern, Pete :) It tidily does away with any seams over the shoulders, always a good thing in waterproof jackets :D

cheers,
M

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I want something pretty close to my posted pic. Basically a headover design with a hood and medium sized cargo pocket on the front... or similar

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Dave we've taken photos of Gavin wearing his green one. I'm going to try and post them today. I've also raked out the pattern I drafted when I made it, and have the wool I intend to use for his new one washed and fulled.

The biggest problem I can see is that it's dark marled brown, and this one's getting a lining of fine charcoal grey wool flannel (the winds have been bitter cold here this Winter and Spring, and he walks between 7 and 10 miles a day, everyday) because he's feeling the windchill on his arms and shoulders.

Frankly, I don't think this is a good shirt to do a follow along with.
I'll give it a go though, and am happy to talk through things.

What I do suggest however, is that we do as I did for the Highlander's jackets that had to be made by 50 different folks; I draw out a basic pattern with clear markings, and I send it to you. You copy it, wallpaper, brownpaper, newspaper, whatever you have that'll give you a clear line to mark around, and then post it on to the next person who wants a copy.

I wasn't for making uniforms for the filming, and I don't think folks want uniforms now; so back then I did a "pick and mix" pattern, with different sleeves, collars, pockets, etc.,

If I do the same this time, folks will get a basic pull on top (that will take a zip front if they choose) with a small stand up collar, optional hood, front gusset (lace up panel if you want) and assorted pockets......might do a basic muslin toile from the pattern so that folk can try that on and see what they need to adjust for themselves. That will need to go with the pattern passaround.

HWMBLT to 5'8" tall, not heavily built and has a pretty standard fit to clothes. He wears a heavy pullover under his 'hoodie' so it was made roomy enough to accomodate that.

Basically, his pattern is a good one to use as the foundation one for this.

Will this do ? or do you want me just to sketch things and talk you through it ?

There is another option; the Neolithic cut bushshirt; very simplified but limited only by your ability to alter to make it fit you.

atb,
Mary

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I'd love to join in on this one, and a smock like the marl one you made for your hubby ( or like that ) would suit me very well - I'll watch this avidly and take part with gusto!.............I think I share your hubby's philosophy of no - hassle easy on/off apparel..............looking forward to it, atb mac

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I don't want you going to a load of trouble Mary. Just a scanned pic or sketch with measurements should do and I can then work it out on bigger paper. I think making the seams and stuff will be the odd bit :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Not a problem Dave.
Send me a pm with a few sizes and I'll make sure that this pattern will fit you. You too Macaroon.

If I cut the toile in something like polycotton, and just sew it together well enough to hold and give you an idea of the shape/size, it'll make it easier to explain, and for you to adjust the pattern to suit yourself.

I cut out HWMBLT's this afternoon, but in the photos it's so dark that it's really difficult to see any detail.

I need measurements for,
chest,
waist,
hip,
underarm to hem at side,
backneck to hem
neck ....loose enough not to choke like a dress shirt but as though for a roundnecked Tshirt.
side of neck to point of shoulder,
point of shoulder to base of thumb

and we'll go from there.

I kept putting this off because I know my husband prefers muted woodland colours for these bushshirts/wool hoodies, and they're really hard to photo. The charcoal grey lining in this one makes it worse than ever :rolleyes:

Obstacles are there to be overcome :D

Mary

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I've not forgot Mary. I've only just got a cloth bloomin tape measure... I tried it with one of the metal "Stanley" ones that builders use but thought the measurements were a bit ropey, so I have a proper one now and will measure when I get home from work :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE