Help me indentify a Loch/Area

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wales1

Aug 3, 2011
dumfriesshire
By the looks of the chaps harvest on his blog there wouldn't be much left anyway, im sure if you go to tesco and fill your trolley with the equivalent in your standard issue fungus it would attract some disapproving looks... probably for the best that the actual location is a mystery to give what's left (if any) a chance to regrow.
Steve

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
When you think that you have a good sense of the lay of the land and the shape of the shoreline,
just use Google Earth to find the place.
Without hiking for miles and miles and miles, I use Google Earth to figure out
where some of the local and abandoned logging roads go to.

I had no trouble finding a northern Canadian camp that I lived in for the summer of '64.
Found the railroad tracks and moved north!

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
Nah, the cloud isn't low enough for Wales.

I wasn't being serious (and I know you followed my intent) :) There are some good suggestions on this thread however I thought I knew the west coast pretty well but can't pin that view down definitively.

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
I`ll guess Skye, or just before Plockton.

No, from the three main clues,

1. Quite a big fresh water loch.
2. Near a road judging by the three visible telephone poles on the left.
3. Red-ish rock band on the hill although that could just be the light, would suggest Torridon or if it is just a trick of the light possibly the lime stone of assynt/far northwest. Either way the rock band looks sedimentary in nature.

So it's not round this part of the world as we don't have that type of loch/road set up here and the rock type looks wrong.

Further speculation on my part orientates the loch running SW to NE, the tent is parked on the SW end (less evidence of wave wash on that shore, and if it is scotland there'd be more evidence of wave action if it were to the north or north east end) I think the photo looks to have been taken in the morning which puts that road on the left of the photo to the north of the loch.

So I'll go for a road side location in Torridon or NW Sutherland.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
There's some pretty good contour info on that mountain. Theres also his other images with mountains in the distance. Looks like you need to trawl the os maps playing spot the contours.

It looks like one of the Inverpolly lochs. I'd plumb for Loch an Doire Dhubh NC137 104. I paddled these a couple of years ago. The hill on the left looks like Stac Pollaidh which would add up due to the contour but the cloud cover makes it a wee bit hard.

Hope this helps

Windy

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Here a pic of corbett Cul Beag you mentioned and the OP for comparison..Perfect match.

Mystery Mountain
wildcamping_zps141f0fb7.jpg

corbett Cul Beag
MM6090jpgChagaMountain_zpsede78971.jpg

Last edited:

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
It looks like one of the Inverpolly lochs. I'd plumb for Loch an Doire Dhubh NC137 104. I paddled these a couple of years ago. The hill on the left looks like Stac Pollaidh which would add up due to the contour but the cloud cover makes it a wee bit hard.

Hope this helps

Windy

I guess Credit should go to yourself, saw your post last. Well Done...Now where do i post the Coconut/Goldfish.. :You_Rock_

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
I knew where it was right from the first post, I just wanted to see how long it would take for someone to come up with the right answer. :p

Well done Filterhoose, :You_Rock_

I'm sorry the mystery is over, it has been entertaining.

rorymax

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE