Help me ID this military (?) jersey

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

charliefoxtrot

Sep 9, 2011
North Lancs, UK.
Been looking for a wool jersey for a while for use in the woods, then this came along. It had a bit of a story attached to it, allegedly the guy I got it from had it off a Falklands vet who'd been in 3 Para. Not sure the jersey is that old though.

No labels and it looks nothing like any of the British army jerseys I've seen. So what is it ? Reminds me of one my late Dad wore to bits, which he got when he was serving.

jersey2.jpg

jersey1.jpg

Last edited:

charliefoxtrot

Sep 9, 2011
North Lancs, UK.
Aye, its norwegian. ws-supplies in oxford had some earlier in the year. Supposedly 'rare' and I can't recollect seeing any recently, but I'd heard they were good. Very happy with this one, I have long arms and the luxury long cuffs on this go right up to my fingers.

Supposed to have been issued from the 70's, so who knows, maybe the original owner did pick it up locally before the war ?

Last edited:
May 23, 2012
Highlands
Hei

Tykk koma ull genser

Velcro to pull collar in, long cuff & thumb hole

Not really military - more sea fishing mans

Also looks dyed green - probably from a grey ???? I seen most in a grey / natural
Colour

J

Last edited:

charliefoxtrot

Sep 9, 2011
North Lancs, UK.
Hei, thanks for that J.

I found some info here, the guy seems to know what he's talking about.

A

PS. I think mine is a bit nicer than the one in the link, the cuffs and waist are seamlessly knitted instead of stitched on.

PPS. The wool is natural olive to my eyes, no signs of dyeing.

Last edited:

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
I have seen a photo of a falklands era royal marine wearing one under his smock. They could have been bulk unit purchase, a bit like those green helly Henson fleeces and munroes were in the 90s.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
I used to have one they were Norwegian issue. It was a good wooly pulley though not as hard wearing as the Brit version as the wool snagged on everything though it was warmer.

A lot of guys swap kit on exercises when working with foreign forces and the British forces have a long association with Scandanivia.

At lot of the guys bought Munros and Hellys because they were far superior to the issue kit at the time.

Jackdaw

When I first joined my green hat wearing unit we had some old sweats who were knocking around very similar jumpers. They all got them on deployment to Norway. They loved the fact that red a**ses like me couldn't get hold of them. Then again, my knees were still in working order, so swings and roundabouts I used to think!

Bumbler

Nomad
Feb 22, 2013
Norway
www.bushcraft.no
I have seen a photo of a falklands era royal marine wearing one under his smock. They could have been bulk unit purchase, a bit like those green helly Henson fleeces and munroes were in the 90s.

It was issue in the Norwegian army as late as 2000 and I deplyed to Kosovo with it in my kit bag.
The Royal Marines where training in north Norway just prior to the Falklands war so he probably either purchased it, or swapped it here.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE