Help me choose the right sleeping bag!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goliath

Forager
Jun 19, 2006
Netherlands
Hey folks.

First of all; I've been very busy the last months and didn't visit bushcraftuk. Now that my schoolyear is about to end, you might see me more often ;)

Anyway, I need a new sleeping bag, but I don't know which one. So Ithought of you, who have more experience with this than I have :D

I'm going to use it mainly in Europe, in the spring and mainly summer (maybe fall). So I figured a -5 bag (without liner) would be fine, wouldn't it? The main issue is price and weight; I'm not a heavy guy so every ounce less in my pack is welcome ;) I'm willing to spend around 150euro's (about 102 pounds) on it. Maybe to 200 if I get more value for my money then.

The candidates I've found so far:

Snugpak Elite 3 (although I didn't find a price for it)
Snugpak Softie 9
Ajungilak Kompakt 3 Season 180 or 195cm, not sure which one will fit since I'm exactly 180cm. This one is heavier than the Snugpaks.
The North Face Cat's Meow 190 which is 40euro on top of the price I'm willing to pay (it's 190euro). The weight is great though, not sure about the quality.

These are all synthetic bags. I never owned a down bag and slept comfortably for years in a normal synthetic blanket-type sleeping bag so I figured to go for synthetic again with this price.

Well, long post but anyone got opinions on which I should buy? I know I might need a liner for the fall and that the temp ratings of snugpak are a little overrated ;)

Thanks in advance :)

Goliath

Forager
Jun 19, 2006
Netherlands
Yes, I've found those too, should have mentioned that in my first post though.
I like those bags, and ofcourse the good comments, but it's too heavy for me. The -10 is 2190g while the Cat's Meow from TNF is only 1294g and the others around 1500g.

So this isn't an option, thanks though! :beerchug:

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
kato said:
I have a Nanok Endurance SF -10 °C and find it a very good bag,I have not used it in serious cold yet but think it will perform well.
i got mine from Outdoorcode>
http://www.outdoorcode.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=81&products_id=321
You can get them a bit cheaper from Genuine Army Surplus>
http://www.genuinearmysurplus.co.uk...anok-10-sleeping-bag-5410-delivered/rowid=659

Hope this helps
I'll second this. Very good bag. Check the weight - 2190 grms isn't the lightest but it does have genuine comfort down to a genuine -10. I've been down to -1 in it with no probs (except cold feet!). Used it last night in the hammock.
Pablo

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I know your post said synthetic, but if you're considering price and weight IMO top of a list of choices would be Alpkit. Biggest thing to note about down is that it doesn't like getting wet, so bear that in mind.

A lot of people seem to rate Snugpak, but I've had an Elite 3 and still have a Chrysalis Micro and the Elite 3 is no match for Alpkit's AD500. I found the Elite 3 cold - nowhere near the stated ratings and the zips were very "snaggy".

I have an AD500 long version, just for a bit more room, and it's the best sleeping bag I've owned. Weighs very little, compacts to very small and is very warm. Highly recommended from me and the service from Alpkit is second to none. A very happy Alpkit punter here. :D

*Curse you Swyn and your fast typing! :lmao:

May 1, 2007
northwest uk
me and the girlfriend took a lightweight berghaus bag each ( 1150 g) ended up sleeping on top of them. that was last year at the world cup in germany . it was hot but the condensation in the morning was a problem . maybe that was the **** tent .

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Goliath said:
<snip>
Ajungilak Kompakt 3 Season 180 or 195cm, not sure which one will fit since I'm exactly 180cm. This one is heavier than the Snugpaks. <snip>

I've got this bag and slept in it last 2 summers .... and found it a bit warm, hence I'm looking for a new bag for spring / summer aswell. Amongst my candidates I've got the Snugpak softie 6 Kestral ... As I also want a smaller rucksack for summer use - I try to fit everything in a 35 ltr bag ... :rolleyes: (Quite a challenge if you see what I normally carry :D )

Back to the Ajungilak. As said I found this bag a bit warm for summer use. Though keep in mind every person sleeps at a different temperature (some sleep red hot and in winter only need a thin bag, others are still freezing mid-summer in a 4 season bag ...), other pointer is to pay as much attention to your sleeping mat as you spend on you sleeping bag!

Regarding size: I'm 193cm and use the 195. IIRC the number means: 'the user of this bag should not be longer than the number written on this bag'. Thus you should be able to use the 180cm one.
Don't forget these bags are in real life about 25cm longer than the number stated on the bag (180 is actually 205cm or there abouts; 195 is actually 220cm or there abouts).

My advice would be to go to your nearest Bever Zwerfsport store ("The Globe" in The Hague is my favourite). They sell (as you probably know) the Kompakt. They also offer you the opportunity to actually fit the bag. This way you can actually try before you buy.
Have to fair though: I never did it - and just bought the biggest bag, as you can store clothes in the bottom of the bag if it's to big. And I like to have a bit more space to move more freely.
Some people say you need to buy a bag in the right size - because you otherwise suck in cold air and push out warm air when you move around in your sleep. Fair enough, but I've never encountered that in person ...

If you decide to go for the Snugpak, then I'm very interested in your experiences with it :D

Hope this helps, good luck with the decission making - it's a tough job :rolleyes:

Goliath

Forager
Jun 19, 2006
Netherlands
Thanks for all the responses! :You_Rock_

I should have mentioned that I already found the Nanok using the search option on the forum. They look promising but way too heavy, so it's pretty much a no-go ;)

By the responses here, I think the snugpak isn't a good option.

I looked at alpkit.com (great website by the way, very well designed) and the Pipedream 400 seems a very good (and good looking!) value for money (although I'll have to check the shipping costs). But I've got a couple of questions about them, or mummy's in general.

Is it possible to use a liner inside the bag? (specifically for the pipedream 400)

Can you move in it, or is it REALLY tight? I've never slept in a mummy to be honest, so I don't know how it feels ;) I lay pretty still at night, I only turn around (from my left to right side and vice versa) but don't move to the other side of my bed.

Which is the best side to have a zipper on? In my blanket (caravan) model, it was always on my right side (I'm right handed) but it was easy to move around in it, so I figured it might be better on the left side so I can reach it with my right hand.

I had other questions but I can't remember them :p

@ Ahjno,
Yes, Bever is one of my favorite outdoor stores - great service and very nice people. Never been in the globe though, most of the times I go to Hilversum or Amsterdam. I've already tried out the Ajungilak, although I can't remember which one; the 180cm or the 190cm. Anyway, it did fit me well, but for that money, I can buy a down bag from alpkit.com which is almost 1/2 lighter!

I find it hard to buy a sleeping bag online though, I always like to feel/test the stuff before I buy, especially with this kind of gear.

Well, if someone can answer my questions that would be great :lmao:

Oh by the way, I have a good sleeping pad: Therm-a-rest Prolite 4, and I don't really mind a sleeping bag beying too hot in the summer (better than too cold!) ;)

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
Hi Goliath,

I love my Nanoks, but I have no hesitation in seconding Swyn’s nomination of Alpkit’s bags.

They are a snug fit, but not claustrophobically so, nice and light, in weight, and pack down very small with the compression straps. Also, they come with an, extra, large draw bag which is used for storing the bag long-term in an uncompressed state to avoid breaking the down, as would happen, in time, if it were compressed for long periods of time in the compression sack.

I would recommend the use of a liner with any bag, to help keep the bag clean, if for no other reason. It’s much easier to launder a liner than a down bag.

And if you are right-handed, then it makes sense that you have a bag with a right-handed zip.

Best regards,
Paul.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Hi Goliath,
while i don't have the Ajungulak komact 3 season, i do do have a 4+ season one. I've had it now for about 15 years (when they first started selling them over here). They are a warm bag, but the build quality on them is supurb, much better than the snugpac imho (my snugpac lasted only 2 years before showing signs of wear).
If you are worried that a bag is going to be too hot, you can always open the zip, better than having a lighter bag and freezing.
Good luck with whatever you buy and enjoy getting out there and using it.
Baggins

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I'm 6'1 and probably pushing 18st now and I'm not restricted in my alpkit bag. I think generally right handed people have a left zip, lefties have a right zip, but it's entirely a personal choice.

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
Do yourself a favour and search around the interent and find a good quility down bag, they are out there, you'll just need to search.
Down will give you a wider comfort zone, will be lighter and pack smaller. Much is said of the fact that down bags don't like getting wet, this is true for all sleeping bag's though :(
The other thing about down bag's is the fact that they will outlast synthetic bag's as the feathers will not break down over time like man made fibres.
And besides, when did you last get your sleeping bag soaked through? It's been 10yrs myself :burnout:

Goliath

Forager
Jun 19, 2006
Netherlands
Thanks for your replies (again ;) )

I think I'm going for the PipeDream from Alpkit, but I ain't sure though. Still have about a month to decide (don't have the money available atm) or more, cince I don't need it right away.

Any other opinions/confirmations are more than welcome!

I have bought 3 Nanok sleeping bags (endurance 0 and -10 and a comfort down -5) and find them reasonably ok though I did have problems with both the endurance models. Poor stitching on the stuff sack of the 0 and a poorly aligned zipper on the -10. The zipper still functions on the -10 though it can sometimes be difficult to zip up, but the stuff sack on the 0 is utterly useless as it cannot be compressed or the stitching will split. I got no joy from the supplier (Outdoorcode) or the manufacturer. They both said they would rectify the problem, but in the end, did nothing.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE