help me choose opinel

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
I want to buy opinel , it has been quite a while since I had it and I miss it very much , which one would you suggest carbon or stainless? no8 or no9 ?

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
I'd personally go number 8, but that is purely based on my hand. as to carbon or stainless, tough one. I like the convenience of SS, but prefer the edge and sharpening of carbon. With opinels, i tend to go with carbon as the benefits of stainless are slightly mitigated because of the wooden handle (in that stainless or carbon, you still have to keep that handle dry unless you want it to swell and become a complete pain to open and close)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I'm pretty much on line with Hughlle. I usually carry a #6 or a #8 as their size is good for the pocket and the tasks I want it for. Larger models I'd keep for a bag rather than pocket.
Much prefer the carbon blade as it sharpen quickly & beautifully. Yes it marks easily but if you keep a blade clean & maintained then it shouldn't be a problem.
Great little knives, especially at the money they cost.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
I want to have it as pocket knife but I want the handle to fit my hand well thats why I can't chose 8 or 9 , I always had no12

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
Regarding hand fit, not much we can help you with there. Although for reference, my glove size is 8.5" and a No.8 fits it perfectly. But it all depends on how you hold the knife and how you define fit.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
9 1/2 glove size here and No. 8s have always fitted me fine, never had a problem with their stainless steel either. Since I use it for kitchen tasks I lean towards SS . These days I prefer the drop point ( if that's the correct term ) Jardin versions, the grips a little slimmer at the butt which I like.

ATB

Tom

kawasemi

May 27, 2009
Where the path takes me
...even if you abuse a carbon Opinel, they are cheap as chips and do exactly what they say on the tin.

A carbon custom knife for £200 - care and clean, a carbon Opinel for less than £20 - use hard until it's done, bin and replace :eek:

Carbon - better edge, easy field sharpen, no worries if lost, scratched, etc, etc

leon-1

I am with tombear on this one. I own a number 8, however I modified it doing a number of things to make it how I preffered it. A short while after I finished the modifications my brother turned up with the Number 8 Garden knife. It's almost identical to my carbon steel knife in all respects apart from the fact that it's stainless and unlike most of their stainless knives they actually tell you what the steel is they have used, Sandvik 12c27 which I like as a steel.

My brother has had his knofe for a long time now and it's served him well, it has also retained its edge well.

Oh and you can pick up the Garden knife for just under £7 if you look about online.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Personally I like the Carbon 9 - I find the 8 just a tad short for my hand and have always preffered Carbon to S/S.

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
ok thank you all !
I dont have big hands if it fits most of you then it will fit me too , I ordered the carbon one.

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
I got a Carbon no.7 a few months back and after reprofiling the blade, I couldn't be happier with it. It's so sharp and light and I don't think you can buy a knife with more character; especially the carbon ones because you have to look after them.

They are cheap but don't treat them as disposable. They will last years if you take care of them.

My worry with carbon is that my hands sweat alot (hyperhidrosis), but it hasn't been an issue with either the blade rusting or the handle swelling. It's my favourite knife.

I'm sure you'll be pleased with whatever choice you make.

Last edited:

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
today i recived opinel carbon no8 overall I liked it , but I should have bought no9 , it fits my hand well but I think it would be better if it was slitely bigger also the blade needs sharpening it has few bad places on the blade , I would like to sharpen it , is it a convex or full flat grind? I never sharpened this type of blade will it be better to sharpen it or to leave it that way?

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
What degree is the edge? I also have a smiths pocket knife sharpener should I sharpen it on a stone or will it be better if I sharpen it with the pocket sharpener?

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
You're better off using a stone. Unless you intend to only sharpen with a pull through type sharpener you'll basically be cutting a secondary bevel onto it. Personally I don't mind that, but they only give you a usable edge not truly razor sharp. Love opinel knives I've had loads over the years

Johnie

Oct 20, 2015
Sunderland
If it's a pocket knife I would personally be thinking about blade length and what is legal. But carbon blade on an opinel every time for me. The edge is better and easier to maintain. Shove it in a lemon get a patina going and don't worry about it

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
What degree is the edge? I also have a smiths pocket knife sharpener should I sharpen it on a stone or will it be better if I sharpen it with the pocket sharpener?

Its a really thin blade as you now know. This means it takes little time to sharpen. Try both ways.

I am completely over "vanity sharpening" (making things stupid sharp because Idon't have enough things to do). The angle you sharpen it at and the grind you prefer will depend upon what you are doing with it and the tools you have to hand. Think more about will you want to dig the stones out when it needs sharpening? I have to sharpen my pocket knife weekly because I use it for horrible tasks so I just put a Lansky over it

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
Thanks to the OP for asking the question. I was going to do the same but searched first and lo and behold my question has been answered.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE