Help me choose an Axe or Hatchet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
Hello
As the title says, I need an axe or Hatchet. I don't know which one or have much experience with either.
I've spent weeks camping in the jungle, and longer in the desert. Always have an axe in the 4x4 but never once used it, I used my knife, saw or machete every day, more than once.
I don't want a big axe I'm not makeing a permanent shelter, so the small forrest axe is as big as I want to go. Don't think I'll ever work on anything thicker than my leg. I normally keep to wrist thick branches even for shelter. Is a hatchet what I need ?
So any recommendations? And reasons why please. Thanks.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I have a very nice Husquvarna hatchet which is great in terms of quality, price, size, balance and chopping power to keep the fire/Frontier stove fed easily. Though for years at work and play the main tools were a snedding axe and billhook. (Snedding axes tend to have a longer handle and smaller head than most folk are used too; it's for de-limbing trees once you have them on the ground and it needs to be light and accurate.) A good splitting hatchet will be useful if you have an open fire a lot? Though you can use a billhook for the job. (I personally would only batton with my knife in an emergency). I would try a few friends axes out to see what suits, also figure out what you really need it for? Some axes split wood a lot better than others. Either British Red or Rik-UK did a great thread on choosing an axe - see if you can dig it out - best I've read. Plus remember that you don't need to go throwing huge amounts of money at companies like Gransfor for a brilliant axe.

rg598

Native
In all honesty, you don't need a hatchet. As much as I love axes, I have managed just fine without carrying one, or a hatchet. Wrist thick wood can be effectively processed with a small saw and a knife, which is what I do, and have not had any issues.

If you want one, the Husqvarna hatched mentioned is a good value.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
In all honesty, you don't need a hatchet. As much as I love axes, I have managed just fine without carrying one, or a hatchet. Wrist thick wood can be effectively processed with a small saw and a knife, which is what I do, and have not had any issues.

Have to disagree there, I use my Gransfors small forest axe more than my knife easily, but its personal preference really.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...Wrist thick wood can be effectively processed with a small saw..."

+1 to this.

A saw makes for a safer cutting experience when out and about.

However you do need an axe because then you'd have an axe.. :)

Choose a longer tool like the SFA if you are new to the whole swinging around a razor sharp blade on the end of stick thing, being longer it is less likely to stick in your thigh or lop part of your ankle off.

There are a couple of Ray Mears vids on the internets where he suggests you get down on your knees when splitting and chopping, sound advice.

:)

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
An old MOD survival knife and beat the hell out of it. Damn sight safer than inexperienced people swinging razor sharp steel on a long handle. Ray Mears even shows you how to split wood with only a saw.
Yes it might not be the done thing for some to baton with a knife but it's less weight than an axe and safer.

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
Thanks for the replies. I'm yet to hear any recommendations for a hatchet.
I much prefer a machete over either, although no matter how far i go into the woods in the UK I never feel comfortable pulling one out.
I'm thinking 14 - 20 inches. I'm happy to pay for quality,
Are Gb worth the extra ?
What size ?

rg598

Native
Have to disagree there, I use my Gransfors small forest axe more than my knife easily, but its personal preference really.

One will always find a use for the tools he carries. When I used to carry an axe, I used to use it. However, since I have stopped carrying one, I've managed just fine. There are very few instances where an axe is actually needed, and that is if one is collecting and processing large amounts of wood for some reason. If that is the case, I bring my boy's size axe.

That's different from enjoying the use of a certain tool. From that perspective, one should bring whatever makes them happy.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
One will always find a use for the tools he carries. When I used to carry an axe, I used to use it. However, since I have stopped carrying one, I've managed just fine. There are very few instances where an axe is actually needed, and that is if one is collecting and processing large amounts of wood for some reason. If that is the case, I bring my boy's size axe.

That's different from enjoying the use of a certain tool. From that perspective, one should bring whatever makes them happy.

Spot on there, there is really little or no need to carry an axe, a saw is safer, quicker and makes you sweat less lol. People go on about carrying a knife everyday as they use it...you will find a use for a knife if you carry it but for the vast majority of people they won't miss having a blade on them.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I would happily swap my GB for the Hultafors agor trekking axe anytime.
Used a couple of them and can't fault at all.
Tried a couple of machette and the tramontina was preferred over the Martindale Golok , too stiff and not long enough.
Im using a parang at the moment but not convinced of the handle integrity so might swap and try a billhook instead.

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
I've just read Wood trackers reveiw of the hultafors agor trekking, by Ross, great review. I noticed it didn't come with a sheath, which I would like.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Axe's should be treated with the utmost respect. They can cause nasty injuries if your attention slips. IMO they are great for splitting rounds and maybe a bit of carving if sharp enough, but processing trees into fire wood is easier with a saw then axe.

Steve

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
Okay, so I've got myself an estwing sportsman hatchet, or at least I'll have it in the next couple of days. I know there not everyone's cup of tea, but I've always thought they are the best looking axe/ hatchet out there. They can be used as a hammer, and the solid handle won't break. The fact that it's already sharp ( thanks Steve ) is the iceing on my cake.
I'm going to get a GB SFA in the future, I think that will cover me.
Ps if you don't like the Estwing don't p@#$ on my parade let me live in ignorance, at least let me get my hands on it first, then laugh.;)

Leiflet

Nomad
Jun 5, 2013
Devon
A saw (chainsaw not withstanding) won't save you in a Zombie invasion, an axe however....splits zombie noggins nicely.....

My preference for zombie-bashing would be a large, blunt instrument, but each to their own.

Cheers,
Leif

Love my Gransfors Bruk Small Forest Axe, homemade buck saw and my homemade knife... I did like my Ryobi 36v chainsaw but the motor burnt out at the weekend doh! For splitting rounds a grenade and a sledge do it well :D

988722_10200732455939973_1963399976_n.jpg

PS the folding Laplander is there as well!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE