Help from Bowyers needed!!!

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
Hey all, just finishing off my second ever bow, for this one i have used an elm sapling. Im at the stage where i dont know where to take wood off, i can see the tiller is uneven but unsure exactky where to remove from.
elmbow1.jpg

elmbow2.jpg

Again i've learnt heaps doing this bow, i have also noticed that one of the limbs has started to "set" a bit when i remove the string a slight arc is developing - is this a bad thing?

Thanks all

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Looking good!

Its seems you have it bending enough just out of the fades so leave that bit alone for now. It also looks like its still on a "longstring" if so you have enough movement to get it to a low brace and see how it looks there, say 4-5 inch or so.

I would start by scraping the right limb at mid limb and also make sure you wood is dry, if its still wet it will take a load of set. Definately leave the left limb just off the handle/fade. Now is the time to go slow, if you dont have a scraper then make one, if you cant find the material just use a knife at a 90degree angle to the wood and take long scrapes and it should remove the wood in little curls.

Good going so far ;)

PS next time show us a shot unbraced so we an see its resting shape.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Tips look as if they need narrowing, the last 12", and take a few scrapes off the mid third right limb. I agree with Dwardo, need to brace it with a short string.

As for set, this is likely to happen with a bow from a sapling, but can be helped by heat tempering. Easiest way I find is a glowing fire, heat the belly and apply gentle pressure to give a bit of "set back"... Also keeping the bow wide and long helps reduce set...
heattempering.jpg

reflexing.jpg

Addictive...isn't it???

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
Thanks for the tips guys, i think before i take more wood off im going to bung it in the airing cupboard to make sure it is fully dry.

Here is a pic of the bow without any kind of string on:

elmunbraced.jpg

I have managed to string it up a little bit:
elmstrung.jpg

Its a right wonky donkey! Addictive isnt the word i am even having dreams about bow carving! I might try belly tempering at the wkd as off for an overnighter and shame to waste a good fire!

cheers

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
One of the things to remember in regards to heat treating is that it affects tiller, sometimes by more than you would think. Probably best do as stovie says and scrape that right limb and then heat tread before removing any wood. Also remember its not a scorching your after. The unbraced looks good. Sometimes a good idea at this point to get atleast a scraped/rough sanded finish on it now. This will help to show up any possible chrystling (tiny liitle hairline cracks running across the width of the bow). These little stress fractures can occur at a point where bow limb is doing more than its fair share of work. You think tillering in your sleep is bad, you will never look at a tree the same again....

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE