Help finding an external/backup battery 12000mah

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

atross

Nomad
Sep 22, 2006
London
Hi

I am looking for a external/backup power supply to charge my iPhone/iPad when travelling. I keep a lot of reference materials on them and would like to be able to use them more without having to worry about draining the power.

Do any of you own a good one? Ideally would like one with 2 USB ports for dual charging and with a power level indicator. I have seen a few on amazon but the reviews all seem fairly mixed with some showing great initial performance and then issues with recharging at a later date. Also after something that can hold its charge well so that I can store it in the car as a just in case when not in use when travelling.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&...vpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&ref=pd_sl_54m6vo1azt_e

Amazons offerings.

Thanks in advance

Ash

ebt.

Nomad
Mar 20, 2012
Brighton, UK
I've got a trent external battery pack. they're pretty damn handy, just stick it in a ziplock bag to waterproof it in your pack.

atross

Nomad
Sep 22, 2006
London
Thanks guys, how do you find they perform after a few charges? And do they hold their charge well?

ebt.

Nomad
Mar 20, 2012
Brighton, UK
I use a small unit, about 7Ah, its an IMP70D. It was bought to recharge my smartphone over weekends away.

Good points:

It charges easily and has a good status indicator
It seems to hold the charge well (although storing anything battery based in a car is a bad idea, the cold is a sod for batteries)
It recharges my HTC desire easily over a weekend and still has > 1/2 charge remaining.

Bad points:

Its not waterproof/rugged, but then i just pop it inside a ziplock bag.

To be frank, its cheap enough not to worry about it too much.

Last edited:

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
Get a tecknet one. I'm charging my iPod on it now. I've got a 5000mah but you can get bigger sized ones.
Hope that help. As you can see the tecknet has 4 and a half stars with 114 reviews.

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
I've got a New Trent 12000ma battery pack and have been using it camping for a couple of years, never had any problems with it. I've also got a cigarette lighter plug USB port in my car and a USB charger that takes 4 AA batteries for emergencies - cant be without my gadgets!

atross

Nomad
Sep 22, 2006
London
Thanks all for your feedback, I appreciate the input! Will take another look at the ones mentioned!

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Not really much help to IPhone users but i take a couple of spare phone batteries with me, they're cheap, small and lightweight so better than many of the backup battery packs i've tried.

Drives me crazy that manufacturers are following the Iphone trend and are putting out newer phones with sealed batteries :cussing:

For backup power a Iphone wielding mate uses a PowerGorilla

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE