HELP, advice on 10 items or less stealth night in Matlock

cowboy

Banned
May 3, 2010
The shire
Hi guys and gals, as the post suggests im planing on doing a 24 hour stealth session with a bush buddy and to make things interesting we are doing the 10 items or less challenge.

Help wise, what im looking for is people who may have or do spend the night in Matlock/bath. Im from Derby myself so the plan is to commute on the bus, so there is no issue with parking and hike into a more secluded area.

Any help would be great as its my first time up those ends of the woods!!! :D

Cheers,

cowboy

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
rucksack
knife
crusader cup
flint striker
tarp
blacket
millbank bag
bacon
rice
tin chillie con carnie

think that was mine last year

cowboy

Banned
May 3, 2010
The shire
Sorry gents, what I'm after is a local. Some one who knows that neck of the woods and can recommend/direct me if possible?

Don't worry about me Rick, iv done a few stealth winter camps, I just want to have a bash at the challege even though its just the one night.. :)

I like the idea of being an extreamist! ;D

cowboy

Banned
May 3, 2010
The shire
Silver hill I like the sounds of that!.. I'm always up for meeting new bushcraft faces! Thanks for the invite.. is there a thread for this meet?

Cheers

Rich_

Banned
Dec 29, 2011
Bridgend
I dont get the question but sounds a good challenge, looking at the kit list posted by vizsla- no shelter in winter? building one for one night is not stealthy..

cowboy

Banned
May 3, 2010
The shire
Rich, we don't intend to build a shelter for that resone! My intentions are to take half a polish lavvu each. Wich I'm assuming classes as one item and constructing a tri pod as the A frame.

Sorry the original question wastnt very clear.. :)

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
When i go minimal i lay spruce next to the fire cover up with a wool blanket and keep the fire going and if i have time build a reflector so i dont get a cold back and to be honest its my favorite way to camp(old school) ;)

cowboy

Banned
May 3, 2010
The shire
cheers guys.. im surprised there is no one on the forum from Matlock area or who had ever spent the right... im sure i sore a thread about some fellas spending a week there? Kind find it for the life of me though... :(

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... im surprised there is no one on the forum from Matlock area or who had ever spent the right..

There are lots of people who have spent time in that area, I've been doing it for nearly fifty years. Take a look on the community pages that Steve (Silverhill) pointed out to you for example.

The trouble is you still haven't really asked a specific question, and if the question you want to ask is "Can someone tell me where there are some good spots where I can camp illegally?" then now might be a good time to go and re-read the forum rules.

If you just want to find a place to camp for a night, walk up the A6 from Derby to Matlock and look around you now and then. There are even a few signposts with little pictures of tents on them.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
I used to live in that area and knowing a few of the farmers i can tell you i would strongly recommend you not to camp illegally on their land.
Best case scenario is they call the cops, worse is, they simply just let the dogs out.

There are not many out of the way areas around Matlock, no matter where you stand you can pretty much see a house.
If you can see a house then they can see you, maybe not all the time, but start a fire during the day and they'll see and smell the smoke, at night they'll see the fire.

It's also a very tight knit community, a couple of lads walking around with rucksacks will no doubt get peoples attention, be it when stocking up in local stores or walking around looking for spots.
And you will need to stock up as there are very few places i'd recommend taking water from.

Of all the reas i've wild camped over the years, Matlock would be near the bottom of the list close to Chad and Sneinton ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE