Helly Hansen fibre pile jacket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Never had an HH but did have a fibre pile jacket. Don't think it was ever meant to be either water proof or windproof, but good for trapping a layer of air under a waterproof outer layer ( impermeable PVC treated nylon back in the day) Then I discovered Buffalo. These days I like to wear wool under a buffalo windshirt, which is comfortable enough in rain even if not waterproof.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
I was thinking in terms (per the other, related thread) that, being wool, it might be a good candidate for getting a slightly large DWRd synthetic windproof (or gabardine even) and tailoring the Bear Shirt to fit under it.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
True! they are warmer and the wool in them helps. For anyone buying one my tip is lots of fabric softer, they do itch, mine took a lot of washes to prevent this. Last time I got one was on eBay

Last edited:

Kilbith

Tenderfoot
Oct 18, 2013
South West
They are very warm for the wieght (but very bulky and no stretch) and under a shell very very warm.

An advantage : In deep cold if you sweat, ice will freeze outside, you need only to brush pile and your jacket is dry.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Starting to have a peeve here. When you go to the Helly site to explore pile options, there is much made of pile and their renewed delight in it. There are also, in their banners, numerous teasing photographs showing, well, exactly what I am after ... fleeces with pile on the interior and slick finishes on the outside .... also, double-pile options that one might consider.

But, trying to find an actual, current pattern to buy causes dyspepsia and grimacing. Why, oh why :)

Can anyone say what, for instance, this, more or less ideal one is? From the current site.

Helly-Fleece.png

Last edited:

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Fleece is bad stuff, it’s responsible for much of our plastic pollution, it’s a major part of the problem. You all know it, but choose not to listen. It’s another case of wanting change but not being prepared to change.

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Can't find it now but I read not long ago a report that said fleece is bad but the main reason for that was the discontinuous fiber structure not so much the fiber material itself. So a continuous fiber pile should be a lot better. Apparently also microfiber fleece (very fine fiber diameter) was worse than a coarser fiber.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Can't find it now but I read not long ago a report that said fleece is bad but the main reason for that was the discontinuous fiber structure not so much the fiber material itself. So a continuous fiber pile should be a lot better. Apparently also microfiber fleece (very fine fiber diameter) was worse than a coarser fiber.

That’d be worth further reading. I’m not a mad anti, but I do avoid buying plastic fibre products where possible, just as I did with toothpastes and cleansers that have the micro beads in them. I did have the old HH for sailing, and no, it wasn’t very warm, but I remember it’s spectacular reception by the general public who thought the new fibre replaced a thick wool and was just ‘so thoroughly modern’. Which it was, but it came at a price. We have been educated about plastics, we shouldn’t be buying anything plastic that is going to wash down the drain or otherwise end up in the world, it’s not on.

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Maybe this then ..

I went to the ‘Complete this Look’ part and didn’t think it was quite, me. :D

I dunno mate, we have this leave no trace mentality here on BCUK which is lovely, but also tend to ignore issues of manufacture and degradation of the more obvious things that aren’t healed easily. People get smashed on here for lighting a fire on the ground or tapping a Birch, making an arrow from green wood, a fire hearth for bow drilling etc, but not for the huge amount of damage caused by making and using plastic. I’ve not got a dog in the fight, I’m not trying to start any discussion or argument, I just think there’s an elephant in the room regarding synthetic materials.

Reactions: Philster

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I kind of understand the no-man-made-plastics thing but it is not quite so clear cut if a slightly wider view is taken.

Cotton and all it's drawbacks!

How about regenerated cellulose?

If I remember correctly some bacteria do produce polyesters, not quite of the PETG kind but fairly close. A few years ago the Japs found in some garbage heap bacteria that eat polyesters, so they are biodegradable.

We should find materials that have the least over all impact. For some reason I don't see that happening,

bigbeewee

Dec 18, 2010
worldwide
Advice please.

Own a Helly Hansen fibre pile jacket says workwear on it and is made in Poland. Held the rain like a sponge and before it rained I was cold with it on, wind seemed to go straight through.

Any people on here owned and wore one of the these in the 1980s when they were popular ? Where they as bad for the cold getting through then and holding the rain like a sponge. Or is it the change in style or quality nowadays.
I remember survival aids selling them and they were used by a lot of soldiers back then.

their natural habitat is offshore, either on a rig as a bit of general warmers kit or in my case on seismic vessels in the observation control room which is just loads of computers and computer geeks being kept cool by aircon

technically they miss most of the more modern requirements of being lightweight, low packable size, wind proof, functional (mine doesn’t even have pockets)

they are however super cosy when you keep them dry and none of the above is required.......I.e a stroll to the pub

bigbeewee

Dec 18, 2010
worldwide
Fleece is bad stuff, it’s responsible for much of our plastic pollution, it’s a major part of the problem. You all know it, but choose not to listen. It’s another case of wanting change but not being prepared to change.

I find an educational message is best delivered in an unjudgmental non accusatory manner:biggrin:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I find an educational message is best delivered in an unjudgmental non accusatory manner:biggrin:

Ok, I’ll change the sentence to ‘We all know that, but choose not to listen”. I feel pretty strongly about the happy ignorance of many regarding micro plastics, especially in fibre form, but happy to include myself so as not to seem accusatory.

Still, arguing semantics isn’t really going to solve anything, it would be better not to see the recommendations for newer microfibre plastic products that will inevitably be washed.

Reactions: bigbeewee

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE