Hello I’m Poppy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Yes, usually they don't do anything, but it seems as if they can do a lot more than we think.

A friend of mine worked as a missionary somewhere in South Africa.

Because it didn't rain for many weeks his competition decided to organise a rain dance next evening and my friend also went there to see what's going on.

After a pretty long time dancing, singing and doing whatever was necessary on a forest glade, there came a very big, highly erected holy black mamba out of the forest, went through the crowd that opened a gab for the snake, and disappeared into the wood at the opposite side of the place.

Immediatly afterwards it started to rain heavily.

Back at home my friend sorted his stuff, cancelled the job and came back to Germany.

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
Hello poppy,
I study Insects, Coleoptera( beetles) & Hemiptera(true bugs)but also find any bug interesting.
You may find joining a local natural history group very helpful as there’s plenty of like minded people, they do site visits & hold lectures/talks.
Or have a look at DANES Entomological society.
All the best in your venture into a colourful & fascinating world.

Reactions: Toddy

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Im glad you like my article, Poppy; the overarching theme is Wiltshire Heritage but a lot of my articles are natural rather than man made heritage. There are articles on a Royal Forest and geology.

My latest one is on the Canal, and the next I have planned is Wiltshire Dinosaurs.

PoppyD

Jul 18, 2021
Stourton
They’re really big. Barn owl. We have them in our stables now and they leave whoppers. Wait till I start dissecting them and make more mess.
I’d post pics but can’t. Bit annoying.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Very fortunate.

There are a lot of Tawny owls in the Bushmoot woods at Merthyr Mawr. Very noisy.

One night driving back there was a owl sat on every fourth fencepost.

PoppyD

Jul 18, 2021
Stourton
We have lots of tawnys in the woods around our house. One sits on the fence and squeaks all the time. And there are loads now. We had four the other night. Youngsters getting ready to move on. Had little owls in the barn until recently, but the barn owls must have evicted them And we haven’t seen them for ages.

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
My favourite bird the Barney, the first time I saw one in the wild was truly spectacular. It was like a scene written,produced and directed by Spielberg. Something never forgotten.

PoppyD

Jul 18, 2021
Stourton
We haven’t seen them out flying yet, just their bums sticking out over the ledge. I’m going to go down when the weather looks good again and watch the fields one evening. I am getting the new iPhone on Wednesday and will be able to take good pictures of them.

Reactions: Nice65

PoppyD

Jul 18, 2021
Stourton
Poppy’s are great. I even have a day named after me where everyone has to wear one.

My camera is OK, but it’s a bag of Pooh next to the new ones. I can’t wait.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE