Hello from the States

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jhenry

Feb 2, 2009
Ozarks
Just a quick hello. I found this site while browsing around and am enjoying it quite a bit. I live in an area of the USA refered to as the Ozark Mountains which is really an immense plateau which has eroded into it's present state. Lots of caves, lots of rivers, creeks (we call them criks) and such. A good amount of game, fishing is also popular. A great area for outdoor activities. Married, 2 boys, employed by the state as a Parole Officer, wife is an art teacher, both boys in Boy Scouting. I enjoy backpacking, hunting, some fishing, motorcycling (I have a 1974 Z1A for any that care), and have been a firearms enthusiast all my life.

I also think the Metric system is a French plot.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Welcome aboard Jhenry.
Why do you think the" American" metric system is a French plot?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Hello and welcome!
Not only is the metric system a French plot - it is inaccurate, based on a mismeasurement of the Earth's circumference!
Napoleons Revenge! The"Cheese eating surender monkey"!
A bas le systeme metric!
Vive le pouce!

traderran

Settler
May 6, 2007
TEXAS USA
Just a quick hello. I found this site while browsing around and am enjoying it quite a bit. I live in an area of the USA refered to as the Ozark Mountains which is really an immense plateau which has eroded into it's present state. Lots of caves, lots of rivers, creeks (we call them criks) and such. A good amount of game, fishing is also popular. A great area for outdoor activities. Married, 2 boys, employed by the state as a Parole Officer, wife is an art teacher, both boys in Boy Scouting. I enjoy backpacking, hunting, some fishing, motorcycling (I have a 1974 Z1A for any that care), and have been a firearms enthusiast all my life.

I also think the Metric system is a French plot.

Hello jhenry and welcom to the forum. As you can see I am from the
stats my self down Texas way.

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Welcome jhenry,

My wife and 2 children and myself haf 4 weeks touring the Usa Last year. Starting in Las Vegas and then travelling along Part of Route 66 upto Flagstaff then through the Monument Valley to Utah. We also Had 4 days canoeing on the Colorado before moving on to Glenwood Springs to do some mountain walking. We had a superb Time and found all we met to be so friendly.

We are planning to return next year but not sure where to yet. I take it Ozark is the the Place where walmart get the name for some of there outdoor gear.

Anyway Welcome once again to BCUK.

Andy

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
We are planning to return next year but not sure where to yet. I take it Ozark is the the Place where walmart get the name for some of there outdoor gear.

Andy, your guess is correct -- a chunk of the Ozark Mountains (commonly just called the Ozarks) is in Arkansas, just like Walmart. An even larger chunk of the Ozarks is in Missouri, even a bit in Oklahoma.

It's a big area. Like jhenry (welcome, man!) said, it's actually a large plateau with three or four distinct mountain ranges.

Beautiful country. Sometimes hard country. Quite wild in many places. Many adventures can be had there. The music and folk art/ folk traditions in the Ozarks are fantastic. And I mean, FANTASTIC.

Because Americans now tend to focus too much on the cities and the coasts, lots of Americans don't understand the Ozark Mountains as well as they should. So if you visit there you'll be learning about a rare and special place.

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Hi Dogwood Just had a brief look on the internet at the Ozarks they do look fantastic. The problem with America and I use the word problem loosely is there are so many fantastic and awe inspiring places to see. When we plan trips I get so confused about where to go.

We are also looking at a trip to Sweden for sometime this year so that will be interesting.

Might just have to give the Ozarks a visit.

No many places to go and not enough money or time what a bummer!!!

Andy

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
The problem with America and I use the word problem loosely is there are so many fantastic and awe inspiring places to see. When we plan trips I get so confused about where to go.

It's a "problem" for Americans too -- not enough of us explore our own country. And not enough of us explore the world. I'm an oddball here because I've lived all over and go overseas many times a year.

You would be surprised at the amount of misunderstanding Americans have amongst themselves simply because they don't understand/appreciate our regional cultures.

Trust me on this: I now hail from San Francisco and sometimes it appears that nobody in the country understands us! We are regarded as the Parisians of America, inscrutable, peculiar and quite likely unnecessary :)

I hope you go to Sweden. I go there several times a year and it's fantastic....

Jhenry

Feb 2, 2009
Ozarks
Thank you all for the warm welcome. I already feel at home. As for Sainty, yes fair and square. Level dealings at all times.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE