Camping in the south of France (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

s'étonner

Forager
Aug 19, 2010
Leicester, UK
Hello! I recently got back from camping in the Tarn Gorge in the south of France. If anyone has seen the famous Millau Viaduct on TV shows such as Top Gear, it's basically right next to that town. Although by no means a bushcrafty trip (we were on a campsite with shower blocks, etc) I thought people still might find some of my photos interesting, and the area would certainly be great to visit for a more bushcraft orientated trip.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millau_Viaduct

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorges_du_Tarn

Here was the view from our pitch, (not a very good photo I'm afraid, but it's about the only one I have that shows a tent!)

IMG_1796.jpg

Next to the campsite are the ruins of an old castle and the surrounding village, perched right up at top of the valley. Here's some more info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Château_de_Peyrelade

We hiked up there. Here are the views:

IMG_1804.jpg

IMG_1805.jpg

The remains of the castle itself, which mostly looks like a cliff now:

IMG_1808.jpg

IMG_1811.jpg

Years ago, the track running down the valley from the castle was closed due to a massive rockfall. We still use it anyway though! Here's some shots of the journey down:

IMG_1814.jpg

IMG_1816.jpg

You can see here the massive amount of cliff that fell away...

IMG_1819.jpg

The insects on the path down are huge, I wish I'd got some photos! I've never seen ants so big! I also noticed this poo left by some kind of animal. Any ideas?

IMG_1812.jpg

IMG_1813.jpg

The best thing about the campsite is that the river comes right through it. If anyone has seen the Ray Mears episode where he visits the Ardeche Gorge with Gordon, it's pretty much exactly like that (and yes we did canoeing!). The river is extremely clear and teeming with fish, so it's great for snorkling and fishing.

Here's some snaps of the campsite beach:

IMG_1842.jpg

IMG_1843.jpg

And here's so fish shots I got with my dad's underwater camera. Not sure what kind of fish they are but I think these ones were feeding off the bottom of the river bed...

P7190327.jpg

P7190328.jpg

Inside the Gorge, there is a nearby rock formation that we like to call the Mushroom, due to it's shape. I hiked up the gorge (scratching my legs up in the process) and had a look at the caves up there and the views over the gorge...

The mushroom (centre of picture):

IMG_1856.jpg

The rocky ledge around the side which you can hang your legs over! You can also see lots of vulture poo on this ledge- the gorge is home to lots of large birds of prey.

P7190297.jpg

One of the caves, which every year contains a solitary bat that always makes me jump when I enter!

P7190299.jpg

Another cave...

P7190302.jpg

Reaching the top of the Mushroom...

P7190288.jpg

P7190286.jpg

The view of the campsite and beach down below:

P7190294.jpg

And the rather sketchy journey back down to the road...

P7190305.jpg

P7190309.jpg

Thanks for reading, I hope this was of interest to someone. My family go on holiday to this place every year, and it really is fantastic!

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Nice pics, thanks for sharing. :)

I've been to the ardeche before, done the canoeing Its a lovely part of the world.

The fish looks like a barbel, could be wrong though.. :)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Hi there guys..
As a angler for ovcer 40 years I can confirm it is definitely a barbel..
Great fish to catch and a species I target in my local rivers in northern France
Cheers
Gareth

Is that the same thing as a catfish? That's what I was thinking it was, a channel cat.

s'étonner

Forager
Aug 19, 2010
Leicester, UK
Glad people have been enjoying the photos, and thanks to you all for helping to identify the fish! :) I seem to remember my dad telling me that the river also contains Dace. Some of the fish were really big! There's also plenty of crayfish, and I can confirm that they give you a nasty nip if you're not careful!

s'étonner

Forager
Aug 19, 2010
Leicester, UK
The Tarn will contain loads of species. I obvioulsy has barbel, but will hold Chub, Dace, Roach, Bream, Pike, Zander etc... It has some big carp too and as I said in some reaches will certainly have Wels catfish.
cheers
Gareth

Wow, I want to go back now and find all those other types! I'm glad I didn't encounter any Pike whilst snorkelling though. Those Zanders look like they'd have a bite on them too!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE