Freezer filling excursion - a complete set of pics of highlights from the trip.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pete79

Forager
Jan 21, 2009
In a swamp
Hello,

Right then. Some people asked for more pictures from my recent excursion. I have uploaded lots from the trip and here they are, with a bit of a blurb about what is what.
I wasn't sure to continue on from the old thread, so to keep things simple, here is the complete picture of my recent trip.

Some scenery shots around the river as I was heading upstream. It was beautiful. Quite warm, and blue skies.
imag0003y.jpg

By pete79 at 2010-10-10
imag0008iv.jpg

By pete79 at 2010-10-10
imag0009mh.jpg

By pete79 at 2010-10-10
My camp on the first night. Set up the wall tent on some slough at the side of the river. I gave a couple of moose calls here, but no-one answered, so I pushed on in the morning. After day one, I didn't see anyone until day ten.
imag0012pi.jpg

By pete79 at 2010-10-10
This is what I woke up to bright and early in the morning. Cold, very cold and crisp, but really beautiful as the sun was coming up on the hills.
imag0013i.jpg

By pete79 at 2010-10-10
imag0016b.jpg

By pete79 at 2010-10-10
imag0017ab.jpg

By pete79 at 2010-10-10
Another shot of scenery from day 2. Looking upstream in the direction I was heading.
imag0021et.jpg

By pete79 at 2010-10-10
In days gone by, there was quite a lot going on on the river here. Up until the 1950s, the river was still the main way to travel from North to South in this part of the world, and during the gold rush the area had a higher population than San Francisco (at the time). The area is excellent for snooping around on islands and up creeks. You find all sorts of things such as farms, old post offices and police detachments, all of which are abandoned. Here are some pictures of some old cabins and an old truck I found on a couple of islands. Apparently the second cabin was occuplied until the early 1990s. I looked inside, and there were cans of food, pictures on the walls, an old gun safe, and a bed.
imag0023hf.jpg

By pete79 at 2010-10-10
imag0024a.jpg

By pete79 at 2010-10-10
imag0029z.jpg

By pete79 at 2010-10-10
There was evidence of animals everywhere I went. As long as there was mud, it'd have prints in it.
Wolf:
imag0035q.jpg

By pete79 at 2010-10-10
Black bear (didn't see any sign of griz, but they are around the area):
imag0037o.jpg

By pete79 at 2010-10-10
Black bear and moose:
imag0038l.jpg

By pete79 at 2010-10-10
An amazing abundance of high bush cranberries. Very tasty they were. Clearly the bears loved them to, judging by the large piles of bright red, cranberry based roughage lying everywhere:
imag0040h.jpg

By pete79 at 2010-10-10
imag0042m.jpg

By pete79 at 2010-10-10
This is where I based myself out of. It's an abandoned tourist camp in the middle of nowhere. It proved to be too remote (I think) and the company upped and left, leaving wall tent frames set up, wheelbarrows, buildings and all sorts (including an almost new tractor with full tank of diesel).
imag0045v.jpg

By pete79 at 2010-10-10
The boat by the shore:
imag0046m.jpg

By pete79 at 2010-10-10
The reason for being out here. Well, not the whole reason; it was nice enough getting out there, but this was a bonus:
bullwinkle.jpg

By pete79 at 2010-10-09
Rendered into manageable chunks and in the boat:
imag0061ld.jpg

By pete79 at 2010-10-10
My camp on the way back, and an evening meal of moose liver, spruce grouse breasts and onions.
imag0065t.jpg

By pete79 at 2010-10-10
imag0066y.jpg

By pete79 at 2010-10-10
imag0068g.jpg

By pete79 at 2010-10-10
Thanks for looking guys.

Pete

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
pete, do you take these excursions solo? just wondering as I should imagine skinning a beast that size could be fun. I'm assuming you do it on the deck and just roll it over (easy when you type it)...

Thanks for the post, really interesting part of the world.

pete79

Forager
Jan 21, 2009
In a swamp
pete, do you take these excursions solo? just wondering as I should imagine skinning a beast that size could be fun. I'm assuming you do it on the deck and just roll it over (easy when you type it)...

Thanks for the post, really interesting part of the world.

Hello mate.

Moose hunting excursions I do solo sometimes, but it is better to have 1 or 2 others with you. It's always good to take a winch along with you and some ropes, cause it's a big animal to move by yourself. The least distance you have to move it, the better.
This is how I do it:
They have always dropped on one side when I have hunted them. I then hitch a rope around the front and back leg on the upper side, and haul the beast over as much as I can and tie the ropes off on rocks or trees or whatever is around. This is really just to raise the legs out of the way, so that I can get in towards the belly. I then take a hook knife and slice the skin along the belly, from the anus to the throat, and slice the skin along each leg up to the knee joint and around the knee joint. I start by skinning the side lying upwards and any other area I can reach, and spread the loose skin on the ground behind like a blanket (it's still attached to the skin on the lower side of the body). I then open him up (splitting the breastbone and pelvis with a hand axe and hammer) and remove the guts and organs. At this point I remove the front and hind quarter on the upper side, and put them in game bags and sit them on a tarp. I also remove the head about now, cause the antlers get in the way. I've then reduced the weight considerably, and can start to move the beast about a bit (may still need the ropes and winch on a big one though). I can then roll the animal over onto the spread out half of the skin, skin the other side out and remove the remaining front and back quarter. I leave the pelvis attached to one hind quarter (along with evidence of sex for when the game wardens inspect the carcass). I also remove the neck at this point. The rib cage I will try to keep in one piece, because that's where the good meat is, and I don't want to split it and expose the meat to the air. Sometimes the animal is just too big to keep the ribcage in one piece, and in order to move it I will have to split it down the back and carry it in 2 pieces.
The result, entire animal is reduced to 6 or seven manageable pieces, and the skin is all in one piece.

Hope that makes sense.

Pete

Last edited:

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Thanks for that Pete, pretty much how I envisaged it. Haven't done anything bigger than deer myself, but the principle remains much the same. Though I use a tripod and skin the animal when its suspended. Hoisting a moose could be fun...Cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE