Hello from Peterborough

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rickyamos

Settler
Feb 6, 2010
Peterborough
Hi All

found this forum after searching the net for some kit to get my 'go kit' ready for helping out with my involement with Cambridgeshire RAYNET. I have always had a thing for bushcraft and like to watch the Ray Mears and a like programes on TV. Even as a young boy I had the SAS Survival Handbook by lofty. also I subscribed to the magazine Survival weaponry and techniqes (Does anyone remember that publication?)

Also I have always loved camping, and even enjoyed my nights out on exercise on Harrier force, ex RAF armourer 15 years.

So I would like to say a big hello to everyone, and thank you all in advance for any information and help you may offer.

So to that my first question is, where do I go to practice bushcraft in my area? I know that their are plenty of woodland areas around my loacation, but how do I go about it? I know that it would be unlawful just to pitch up on someones land. So where can I go and practice the skills I want to learn? knowing that this question probally has been asked before sorry.

Thanks
:hammock:
Rick

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Hi Rick,

I used to pitch up in Bourne woods on the odd occasion. Very frowned upon unless you're caught but there used to be one or two areas that were quiet.
Saying that i've not done it or been there in over 15 years!

There is also Southey Woods up the A1 but again that's NT land i think, or even the woody bits around Ruland Water but again it was all done on the quiet.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Hi and welcome. Rutland water ?, no chance !, they charge £10 a pitch, even for a one man tent !.

Start by going out for walk in the woodlands, and see how you go from there.

Rob

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Hi and welcome. Rutland water ?, no chance !, they charge £10 a pitch, even for a one man tent !.

Start by going out for walk in the woodlands, and see how you go from there.

Rob

Depends where you go ;) although back in '92 they were abject fascists if they caught you :rolleyes:

rickyamos

Settler
Feb 6, 2010
Peterborough
:)Hi all, thanks for the warm welcome. i will start by getting out my OS maps and see where I can find to have a mooch about. Although I did find a little wood just by Wansford. Looks like it gets quite busy with dog walkers and the like. I did get a chance to have a go at pitching my DD Hammock. I did not pitch the tarp but all in all the Hammock looks like it was a good buy. Did not sleep out over night in the Hammock so I don't know how warm it would be, although I did put in my 3/4 length thermarest, and it seemed to be comfy. I will let you all know when I scope out the area and get a chance to field test my gear overnight.:You_Rock_:red:

here is the picture of me and the hammock

100_1640.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE