Hello from California

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Left Turn

Dec 14, 2009
US (northern california)
Wow!
All the informative threads!
So many ideas!

I grew up in Michigan's lower peninsula and in Ontario, Canada - spending lots of time outdoors. Camped and hiked throughout my youth and young adulthood with my dad and with a seriously cool Girl Scout troop (we camped in the snow! we backpacked! in the Tetons! we got firsthand experience with treating hypothermia! (thankfully, just once))

My midlife crisis seems to be a desire to get outside and play again. Could be worse, I suppose.

Somehow I found a few bushcraft sites and became immediately hooked. I've gone as far as I like with super hightech clothing and gear - I'd never let go of my wool watch cap or my wool shirts anyway. Why not expand on that?

I love sewing and making gear - and wool is such a pleasure to work with.
Much more fun than plastic!

tjwuk

Nomad
Apr 4, 2009
Cornwall
Hi, good to get someone from warmer climes.

Freezing here in Cornwall at present as it is over most of the UK.

Enjoy,

Tim

tenderfoot

Nomad
May 17, 2008
north west uk
Hi there! There is a thread on here that asks what is the source/inspiration of you nickname ie left turn
Wanna show and tell? welcome to the forum anyway,"Northern California where the girls are warmer" Eh?

tenderfoot

Nomad
May 17, 2008
north west uk
I just read back my last post and it looks a bit creepy/ suspect in retrospect not intended that way... just a word association football club kinda moment...

micah

Oct 30, 2006
london
Hi,
I'm in CA at the moment. LA county but will be going up to Placer county in a few days. I was hoping to spend a few days outdoors. Any suggestions of a good area to do some bushcraft?
Micah

Left Turn

Dec 14, 2009
US (northern california)
Hi,
I'm in CA at the moment. LA county but will be going up to Placer county in a few days. I was hoping to spend a few days outdoors. Any suggestions of a good area to do some bushcraft?
Micah

If you want to just hike during the day I suggest Hidden Falls Regional Park in Placer county.
CIMG0843-vi.jpg

Nice variety of trails and some nice waterfalls and rapids to see. Day use only.

There are a few campgrounds in the Auburn State Recreation area. You'll need to call for conditions and if they are open. I do not believe dispersed camping is allowed in Auburn or Folsom state recreation areas.

Farther up I-80 is the Tahoe National Forest , where dispersed camping is allowed. Check with the rangers to find out what the current conditions are and which areas are open. Consider bringing chains - snow level is down to about 5000 feet last I checked.

Or consider the South Yuba River Recreation area (the SYR campground is closed this time of year but the primitive camp is still open - at least according to the BLM guys a few weeks ago). Give the Motherlode (formerly Folsom) BLM field office a call and check on trail conditions for the South Yuba River National Recreation Trail and that area.

If you don't already have one, free campfire permits (for fires and camp stoves) are available from National Forest offices and from BLM offices. The rangers do check on folks up here, so save yourself some potential hassle.

I'd send you up to the Eagle Lakes/Bowman Lake/Grouse Ridge area but it is high enough that I think it is snowed in now. Might be worth calling the rangers and checking. Sure is a pretty area.
(Fordyce Creek: 7-8 miles from Eagle Lakes trailhead)
CIMG1242-vi.jpg

Enjoy your trip up this way!

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Welcome, Left Turn, pull up a log and make your self a seat close to the fire. Hoodoo, is from Michigan, and when I was a young boy I lived on Bois Blanc Island, in the Straits of Mackinac. We can probably swap some yarns.

micah

Oct 30, 2006
london
If you want to just hike during the day I suggest Hidden Falls Regional Park in Placer county.
CIMG0843-vi.jpg

Nice variety of trails and some nice waterfalls and rapids to see. Day use only.

There are a few campgrounds in the Auburn State Recreation area. You'll need to call for conditions and if they are open. I do not believe dispersed camping is allowed in Auburn or Folsom state recreation areas.

Farther up I-80 is the Tahoe National Forest , where dispersed camping is allowed. Check with the rangers to find out what the current conditions are and which areas are open. Consider bringing chains - snow level is down to about 5000 feet last I checked.

Or consider the South Yuba River Recreation area (the SYR campground is closed this time of year but the primitive camp is still open - at least according to the BLM guys a few weeks ago). Give the Motherlode (formerly Folsom) BLM field office a call and check on trail conditions for the South Yuba River National Recreation Trail and that area.

If you don't already have one, free campfire permits (for fires and camp stoves) are available from National Forest offices and from BLM offices. The rangers do check on folks up here, so save yourself some potential hassle.

I'd send you up to the Eagle Lakes/Bowman Lake/Grouse Ridge area but it is high enough that I think it is snowed in now. Might be worth calling the rangers and checking. Sure is a pretty area.
(Fordyce Creek: 7-8 miles from Eagle Lakes trailhead)
CIMG1242-vi.jpg

Enjoy your trip up this way!

Thanks for all the info!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE