Hello fro North Lancashire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Holly Blue

Aug 5, 2021
Lancaster
Hello from North Lancashire
I recently had a WhatsApp conversation with my (now grown up) daughter about whether she remembered learning to start campfires, and what we used when we made them in the garden. She remembered using dry holly leaves to start a fire. I mentioned that there were other materials that could be used and finished up saying "you can 'google' it. It made me think about how, where and why I learnt how to make fires outdoors pre-internet (I'm over 60), and I 'googled' it myself to see what was out there - which is how I found this community, and decided to join. I think anything that helps folk to respect, connect with and feel part of the natural world is worthwhile. I taught my kids the importance of correct plant identification, and berry picking was a favourite summer activity (whether redcurrants in the back garden, raspberries in the allotment, or bilberries on our local fell).

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hello :) and welcome to our virtual campfire :)
Come and join the conversations.

I find holly leaves a pain. Literally. The birds brought the seeds in and they've grown up through my beech hedge. An unpleasant jaggy surprise when clearing out the leaf litter :rolleyes:

Spirit fish

Banned
Aug 12, 2021
Doncaster
Hello from North Lancashire
I recently had a WhatsApp conversation with my (now grown up) daughter about whether she remembered learning to start campfires, and what we used when we made them in the garden. She remembered using dry holly leaves to start a fire. I mentioned that there were other materials that could be used and finished up saying "you can 'google' it. It made me think about how, where and why I learnt how to make fires outdoors pre-internet (I'm over 60), and I 'googled' it myself to see what was out there - which is how I found this community, and decided to join. I think anything that helps folk to respect, connect with and feel part of the natural world is worthwhile. I taught my kids the importance of correct plant identification, and berry picking was a favourite summer activity (whether redcurrants in the back garden, raspberries in the allotment, or bilberries on our local fell).
Use buffed up silver birch bark outer skin it contains natural waterproofing oils and goes up like gasoline

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE