Hello everyone

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PatrickM

Nomad
Sep 7, 2005
Glasgow
www.backwoodsurvival.co.uk
Hello to you all and Hi Stuart it was a pleasure meeting you and your wife at the Wilderness Gathering I find it a great joy when I meet people like yourself who have a real enthusiam and passion for wilderness skills. After speaking to you I had a look through this fantastic site - it's a credit to you all. I'm personally not one for spending much time at the computer so I will probably pop in now and again, hopefully with something useful.

I thought you might like to look at this bow drill which I made from a cow's rib and strung with rawhide which is still turning the spindle after two years use. The spindle is made from elder with a hazel plug to accommodate the bearing block which is part of a leg bone. This style of bow drill is ideal for trying out many different types of wood and can be put to work as a primitive "Black & Decker" by use of wooden plugs fitted with flint or bone, lashed with nettle and sealed with pitch. I always find that one has to make tools to make more tools! The bow could also be made from deer ribs by cutting a join in them and lashing with sinew.

I also thought this shot of autumn goodies I gathered today might bring a smile to you all, as it did me. Isn't this a fantastic time of the year?

Regards

Patrick
Backwoods Survival School

Attachments

• bone-drill-web.jpg
    bone-drill-web.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 114
  • wild-fruits-web.jpg
    wild-fruits-web.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 88
Reactions: Stuart

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Welcome. Always good to have a new member especially one from the right side of the border.

If you get the urge you may want to pop along to one of the Scottish Meet Ups. A diverse bunch of people if ever there was one.

Anyway welcome again.

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
Hi Patrick
I went to both of your classes at the Wilderness Gathering and to say I was inspired is an understatement. The gear that you make is brilliant, the best I've seen. Thanks for letting me have a go with the blowpipe, I was chuffed when I popped the balloon with it.

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
Thoroughly enjoyed your survival fishing session at the Wilderness Gathering and regret missing the hunting one. Still can't believe the quality of the equipment you've made...it gives everyone something to strive for. Good luck.

chris chris

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 25, 2004
keswick
Welcome aboard mate

Blowpipe! Did someone say blowpipe, I would love to get my hands on blowpipe.

Also like to know how it was made, what kind of wood etc

Is it possible to explain further Patrick.

Thanks

Chris

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Welcome aboard mate. Good to have you here :D Lovely cow rib bow by the way ..... ummmm... I feel another project comming on ;)

:)
Ed

maverick

Tenderfoot
Nov 25, 2004
Newport, South Wales
I was just gloating over my bow drill set after spending a a couple of hours shaping my bow into the traditional longbow d shape ( As taught by Bardster at MM) to give it more fleck. Then I view that wonderfull bowdrill of yours so it's gone in the corner and i'm of to the butchers. :D

Seriously that is one mighty fine bowdrill set, Inspiring to say the least.

Welcome aboard

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
Hello patrick

good to see you found your way here

I have some photographs of patricks stunning fishing hooks for those of you who have not been fortunate enough to see them.

the pictures dont do them justice though, each one is a work of art, the lines are plaited cordage, the weights made from stone, hooks and lures made from bone and wood, even the swivels are carved from wood.

fishing_4.jpg

fishing_3.jpg

the fish lure you can see in the top of this image is painted bone!:
fishing_2.jpg

fishing.jpg

PatrickM

Nomad
Sep 7, 2005
Glasgow
www.backwoodsurvival.co.uk
Hi folks,

Thanks for the warm welcome and kind words.

MagiKelly thanks for the offer to join you at the Scottish meet, it sounds like you guys have a lot of fun. If you hold any between Nov & Feb, I'd be happy to come along, as this is my time for "walkabout" - unfortunately I don't have much free time over the rest of the year.

GrahamS have you managed fire with chocolate bar and coke tin yet!

Chris, there are many ways of constructing a blowpipe i will try to send in a tutorial when i find some time!

Fire Starter

Tenderfoot
Aug 1, 2005
England
PatrickM said:
Hi folks,

Thanks for the warm welcome and kind words.

MagiKelly thanks for the offer to join you at the Scottish meet, it sounds like you guys have a lot of fun. If you hold any between Nov & Feb, I'd be happy to come along, as this is my time for "walkabout" - unfortunately I don't have much free time over the rest of the year.

GrahamS have you managed fire with chocolate bar and coke tin yet!

Chris, there are many ways of constructing a blowpipe i will try to send in a tutorial when i find some time!

Hi Pat

Welcome to this fantastic web site. I was on one of your courses last year - really enjoyed it, I dont know if you remember me? (The one who could'nt light a fire! I've mastered it since. Look forward to meeting you again on one of your other courses

Hi Patrick,

Here's my bushcraft multi-tool that i mentioned to you the other day.

P1000887.jpg

The shaft is gelder rose, decorated with leather, I use box wood as the bearing plug and I've set the flint drill tips into gelder rose using a 50/50 mix of pine resin and bees wax as glue.

I intend replacing the carving blades with flint ones when I've knapped decent ones.

I am now making pressure flaking attachments (hense the copper rivet) ;)

Thanks for the insperation :You_Rock_

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE