Hello and basha/tarp advice please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ScottE

Nomad
Mar 22, 2017
Norfolk
Hi, I'm Scott, just getting into a spot of wild camping with a leaning towards bushcraft ways.
Can anyone recommend me a reasonably priced tarp or basha around 3x3 or smaller would suffice I think, but a bit bewildered by choice.
Thanks and regards, Scott.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
I'll save everyone else the bother and say it straight away: DD Hammocks.

They do various sizes, including the ubiquitous 3x3 and they do lightweight versions as well (not that standard ones are that heavy to start with with).
For the money they are as good as they get. You can spend more and get 'better' (some have commented that the DD ones tear around the hitching points, but that seems a rare occurrence, so I wouldn't get hung up on it).

If you prefer something camouflaged then you could still go with DD (they do a multicam one, though I think it is a VERY poor multicam with the pattern very obviously repeating itself so that it ends up looking like a pair of curtains. Personally, I wouldn't touch the DD multicam tarp, though others love it), or choose something military. A military basha is slightly smaller - most seem to average out about 2mx2.5m. But there is some variety with some slightly smaller, some slightly bigger.

It depends what you want it for. You won't go wrong with the DD 3x3m. That's a good size that offers versatility - it gives you enough 'play' room if it's raining, is big enough to use with a hammock, could be shared with another person, bit of shade on a hot day. There may be instances where you want something bigger or something smaller, but the majority of the time that size will see straight.

Having said all that, and despite also owning a DD 3x3, the tarp/basha I use most of the time is actually one of these:
http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/highlander-multicam-basha-25x17m-hmtc-product,15362

Best of luck!

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
+1 for the DD 3x3. It's not the absolute highest quality tarp out there, but I've been using mine for years with no issues. One advantage of the DD is that there are a lot of people on here using them, so you'll be able to get lots of really specific advice on setup.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
A basha is a set size, its not 3x3 however and i've never heard a bad word about DD tarps, but i've never used one from them.

Tonyuk

Dec 10, 2015
South Wales
After spending many a night under a basha they work fine, I also own a DD 3x3 for size and weight ratio I much prefer the DD its not as rugged as a basha and I wouldn't expect it to be and there is no need to abuse it. For the price it shoots above its weight in my opinion.

Big G

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
For solo use a British army basha should cover your needs.

But if you need something larger there's plenty of decent tarp manufacturers to choose from.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
I'd be tempted to throw in the British army basha into the mix too. Heavier but more hard wearing. I've used DD and army and liked both. I'm currently in the early stages of making a canvas one

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Lotta love here for the DD 3x3 and rightly so especially when the weather gets ugly that extra coverage makes all the difference. Though personally I find the basha a more manageable size in densely planted woodland.

ScottE

Nomad
Mar 22, 2017
Norfolk
Thanks for your replies, leaning towards a basha I think, toughness overrides lightness, and I will be using it solo and often in quite dense brush or thicket.
I'll shop around for an issue basha.....

Dec 10, 2015
South Wales
Thanks for your replies, leaning towards a basha I think, toughness overrides lightness, and I will be using it solo and often in quite dense brush or thicket.
I'll shop around for an issue basha.....

You might want to look at the WebTex basha its smaller than the issue one perfect for one person and kit, It also has snappers so you can attach another basha or connect it to its self to make a bivvy. Its incredibly tough.

Now I would not normally recommend any webtex kit but this is pretty good by them.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Well, just to add a small contrary opinion. I don't like the DD 3x3, I think it's too big, and too heavy. Where I've been camping I often haven't found the space between the trees necessary to for a 3m long tarp...

I have a British Army Basha, I don't use it much, it weighs over 1kg. Far too heavy.

I have a Miltec Flecktarn tarp. I use this a lot, plenty big enough for 1, easy to put up, ~450g (don't have the numbers to hand), so pretty light.

The other tarp I've been using a lot lately is the RAB SilTarp 1. At 198g it's stupid light, It's a bit small so perhaps not one for really tall users, but I've not found it too small yet.

When I got the SilTarp I considered the Alpkit Rig 3.5, it's not much heavier, but ultimately I got the Siltarp 1 on special offer. I've considered a Alpkit Rig 7 for canoe trips where weight is less of an issue, but it also will have issues with finding enough space between the trees...

J

ScottE

Nomad
Mar 22, 2017
Norfolk
Sorted now, got a surplus basha and for the <£20 delivered price I can't believe the quality and condition, had a play yesterday and the options/possibilities are endless it appears, attachments and eyelets everywhere and appears super tough, just what I needed. Happy.....

chris_r

Nomad
Dec 28, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
A little late to the party, but I've been using a DD 3x3 for some time. I recently switched to a Rab Siltarp 2 and I've got to say I'm impressed. Solid construction, light weigh an compact. For anyone else in a similar position it's definitely worth a look.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE