Hello and advice on knife making

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hardyferret

Nov 21, 2006
Dorset
Big hello to you all from Dorset,new to this site introduced by my good friend Jack of Woodland Organics.
Have always had a love of the outdoors, and good tools...
So Jack kindly gave me a half finished knife blank inscribed J.J.2003 very very similar to the woodlore/ Alan Wood knife, it is 3mm thick and plain steel not stainless.
What is a good material for the handle needs to be practical hardwearing and look good if poss.
Also any other tips appreciated

Regards Jerry

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Jack told me about the site also... but I did not get a knife blank out of it!
Any well seasoned hardwood - especially fruitwoods - would look great and wear well. Some woods like ouk can cause corrosion problems over a long period, but so far I have not had any real problems with any hardwood handled knives. IMHO wood looks and feels better than micarta, or synthetics of any sort!

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
If you are going for plain wood and not stabalised then an oily wood like cocobolo would be a good choice, lignum vitae also as its very hard wearing. Ebony is another good one. there are lots more of course

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
hardyferret said:
Great ideas where to find such seasoned wood and in the small quantity i would want??

Ta Jerry :confused:
PM Englishrose222, she has some great woods for handles or search Ebay for
knife scales

Englishrose222 sells on ebay as well

hardyferret

Nov 21, 2006
Dorset
Impressed with the replys!!!

The ebony handle looks to be the route i'll take, after seeing some of Englishrose 222 work with ebony.
So hopefully you'll see some pics soon... famous last words

Regards Jerry

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE