Helle Temagami: similar alternatives?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

vestlenning

Settler
Feb 12, 2015
Western Norway
My girlfriend would like to give me a knife of my choice for my birthday. So far the Helle Temagami (*) is the main candidate, with the EnZo Trapper 95 Birch coming in second.

helle_temagami.jpg

So good bushcrafters, what similar knifes would you like me to consider?

*) Mr Stroud being involved has nothing to do with me liking this knife, it's all about looks and quality.

Ruud

Jun 29, 2012
Belgium
www.rudecheers.wordpress.com
What I would do is buy a Enzo Trapper knife blank and get it rehandled by one of the makers on the forum. You end up with a full-tang blade (Temagami is not completely full-tang) which has a very good scandi on it for carving and some bigger chores. And as a plus, you'll have a unique knife for your birthday. But hey, that's what I would do.... :D

oslodunc

Jul 23, 2010
Lillesand, NO
I have a Temagami. i like it. Comfortable and useful.. Sheath had to be replaced . The insert kept falling out. luckily i had one a forum member made for me a few years ago that fitted perfectly. If you´d really like a handmade knife and your girlfriend has a budget, could you pay the difference? There´s some amazing work in here. I´ve been meaning to treat myself for a long time.

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
What I would do is buy a Enzo Trapper knife blank and get it rehandled by one of the makers on the forum.

Or buy a Trapper blank and handle it yourself as a project. It will impress your girlfriend. Here's my first attempt...

DSC01513.jpg

vestlenning

Settler
Feb 12, 2015
Western Norway
Thank you all for your thoughts and suggestions! After much consideration I ended up on the Temagami, and my girlfriend ordered one straight away.

A nice knife from some skilled people, a good choice imo.

[video=youtube;1cuYnbWmEMY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cuYnbWmEMY[/video]

[video=youtube;2jY4m1OSREA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jY4m1OSREA[/video]

Or buy a Trapper blank and handle it yourself as a project. It will impress your girlfriend. Here's my first attempt...

Nice work! A Sami blade in need of a new handle will be my first project in this respect, if that comes out ok a full tang knife could be up next.

Last edited:

vestlenning

Settler
Feb 12, 2015
Western Norway
Have had the chance to try my Temagami, and it's a great knife for me. Very good in the hand and a nice edge = works great! Reminds me of the importance of getting the right knife for your hand. Looks is important, but ergonomics more so.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE