Helle Harding.......

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robbie Roberson

Forager
Nov 28, 2004
Tennessee, U.S.A.
Hello, I went to Smoky Mountain Knife works today, as I do every sunday. I go to check on my SOG Revolvers they are selling there, and to talk to all the sales people in the store. I decided to see what all the talk was about concerning these wooden handled knives. I have read so much positive stuff written about these type knives, I just had to look at one of these and see for myself.
They had about 8 or so different models to look at, but the one that caught my eye was the "Harding". I took my time and examined this knife very closely. I first noticed how comfortable it was in my hand, it was nothing like I expected. It fit perfectly and was well balanced, just the right size. I noticed the blade was much thicker than I thought, and extremely well shaped, and the grind lines were perfect.
The blade was hair popping sharp, and it was amazing just how well it was placed within the handles. The handles were perfect in every detail, finished out smooth and well put together. I have to admit, I was very surprised at the quality, and you could tell it would cut like the dickens. I tried to flex the blade to see if it would give, it would not. I then checked the sheath, it was very well made and I really liked the way the knife was secured into the sheath. It is held in the sheath by a brass knob set into the top of the knife handle, appeared to be a very secure method.
After a very intense examination, I came to the conclusion that this is one of the best made, best looking, and most comfortable wooden handled knives I have ever handled. Really, it was a magnificant knife, how it would work in the bush or woods is obvious by all the positive reports I have read in the past. I have no ties to this knife whatsoever, I just had to see for myself what the big deal was about these little wooden handled knives. I found out that it is really a work of art, and if I were to ever want a real down to earth working knife, this would be my choice (I may go back and buy it :roll: ). There is something about this knife I really liked, it made me feel kind of funny, like I should buy it because it needed a place to work, and a reason for being made so well.
http://www.worldknives.com/product.asp?produid=176&manuid=28

Robbie Roberson :wink:
P.S. They do not list these on their web site for some reason, so I found another link.

Dave Barker

Nomad
Sep 15, 2003
Norway
www.brukskniver.net
The helle Knives are avery common Production knife.

I have the harding blade that i use in a handle and sheath i made myself . It was one of the first kives I made and although the handle is way away from the style i use now it is a very good usable knife.

The others that you may need or want to look at are the ones supplied by BRUSLETTO

These are the 2 most used in Norway. The blades are available seperately as are the guards, ferruls and buttons for ends.

I prefer hand made blades for my knives ( the ones I sell) but for use in and around the sea, i use a helle blade in my boat and for the fisjing trips i take.

Nice choice.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
buy it Robbie.. you know you want to :eek:): its great to find something that really suits you down to the ground and which is obviously made to a high standard isn't it! do you think maybe you will consider wood as a suitable material for one of your future knife designs?

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
The Harding was my first Helle. At the time, I was so amazed by it, I couldn't bring myself to use it. I also thought it was so rare that some day it would be collectable. :lol:

osfvswoodlorehelle1b.jpg

osfvswoodlorehelle2b.jpg

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
The Fjelkniven uses the same blade blank, so all is not lost. The Fjelkniven handle is very comfortable. Eventually I'm going to round the beak off the pommel on mine.

fjellkniven1e.jpg

Robbie Roberson

Forager
Nov 28, 2004
Tennessee, U.S.A.
TomTom, SOG has used Cocobolo on some of their folder knife handles in the past, I doubt they would use this for their straight knives, but you never know. These Helle type knives are a much different knife than a lot of USA production knives as everyone obviously knows.
Until this weekend, I never had looked at these types of knives except in pics. Brusletto knives seem to be similar in looks to the Helle. I am sure they are very fine knives.
Why is the Harding no longer made or sold ? That makes me want to go get this one now. :roll: I have been collecting knives and making for over 20 years, I learn something new about them every day. Yes, I really need that knife, the funny thing is, even my wife said "go back and get it" !

Tvividr

Nomad
Jan 13, 2004
Norway
www.gjknives.com
arctic hobo said:
Sadly for the rest of us, the Harding has been discontinued. :cry: I have never tried one, but it sounds great :biggthump
It's still made at the factory in Norway, and easily available in any shop that sell Helle knives here.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Robbie Roberson said:
TomTom, SOG has used Cocobolo on some of their folder knife handles in the past, I doubt they would use this for their straight knives, but you never know. These Helle type knives are a much different knife than a lot of USA production knives as everyone obviously knows.

Probably cos they're kind of funny looking at first, not at all tactical, they dont look "mean", the American market seems to like thier knives to look "mean 'n murderous" - but once you've actually used a scandinavian blade - oh my goodness, but do they work blimmin well!!

Robbie Roberson

Forager
Nov 28, 2004
Tennessee, U.S.A.
TomTom, I am sorry to say I went back to get it the next week and it was gone :cry: . I found out they will probably get more in in the next few weeks I hope. This really hurt, because I felt a weird attaction to this knife, it was so perfect, I could kick myself for not buying it when I first held it. Now it is in the hands of another. :roll: (hey, that sounds like a song !)

Oh well, it has a happy home I hope, and I got my order in for the next one that comes in. I will either buy the one they hold for me, or if they get several in, I will get to pick the one I want. Thanks for the follow up, I will let you know when I get it. I plan on really using this one, (maybe) if it's not too nice :wink:.

Rod

On a new journey
Hi,

I have had the Helle Fjellkiven for a year now and absolutely love it (A present from swmbo - what a catch!) Shave sharp and easy to keep the edge. Comfy handle. It gets lots of admiring glances from other bushcraftii.

I can also recommend Brusletto. I have the Rognald. Small and wickedly sharp too. I did need to modify the sheath to make it easier to draw.

cheers :wave:

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Top post there Steve that's a big saving :biggthump

I like the Eggen on that page that's the one i've been drawn to when looking at Helle knives before.

Bill

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Prices are great although I would advise against ordering online as their online ordering form is not secure.

On their main page is a telephone number, I would use that.

Joe

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE