Helicopter Display

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
...Try getting permission to do something like that in England.

Are you saying that the International Air Tattoo has been discontinued? Have the Red Arrows been disbanded? The British Army's Blue Eagle's Team? As I recall the Royal Navy also had a helicopter demonstration Team? Have they all been disbanded?

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Though we did have an alternative display team called the Blue wheel barrows, just as much ego and pie fed pilots but, in the wheel barrows, It wasn't a huge success as the display was best viewed from the air, where as apparently anything in the air is best viewed from a bunker some miles away!:p:D

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
The blue wheel barrows hahahaha - I hope they were painted in the proper colours, flying jackets, silk scarves and goggles.

Liam

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I watched a heli doing manoeuvres like that once at a private strip not that far from home, he was flying a R22 and his tail rotor had failed, give the guy his due, he got it on the deck the right way up, shut it down and walked away, he sold his R22 shortly after that and bought a Rotorway Exec, oh and a new pair of shreddies:rolleyes:

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Robbi, I'd never have beleived that was possible in a whirly bird!

They tell me it's hard enough to fly one straight, kind of like rubbing your tummy and patting your head.

Liam

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Robbi, I'd never have beleived that was possible in a whirly bird!

They tell me it's hard enough to fly one straight, kind of like rubbing your tummy and patting your head.

Liam

LOL. There's a saying that sums it up:

"Helicopter pilots are different, because helicopters are different. An airplane WANTS to fly; and it WILL fly unless seriously interfered with by an inept pilot.
But a helicopter pilot must hold his aircraft in the air against all laws of nature and physics."

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Hahahahaha I like that Santaman2000.

I'm not afraid of flying, but I've been in cars that have broken down...

It's terra firma for me, the firmer the better and less terror.

Liam

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Very skilful... I'd love to have a go at flying a helicopter but have never stumped up the cash for a trial lesson (and don't really like the look of the R22 - perhaps I should save up for a Gazelle :D)

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
Very skilful... I'd love to have a go at flying a helicopter but have never stumped up the cash for a trial lesson (and don't really like the look of the R22 - perhaps I should save up for a Gazelle :D)

Friend of mine is on his second. They are lovely, and the running cost per hour isn't as bad as you might think. A lot less than a Jetranger in his experience.

Alright, you can't use it for work because it's a permit machine, so it's just a toy, but blimey, what a toy.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Had a ride in a Gazelle when I applied to join the Army Air Corps before University - none of this 500' feet from vehicle/vessel/person or structure nonsense - real hedge hopping it was!

Also had a jaunt in a Huey with the Luftwaffe through the Alps - awesome

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
Had a ride in a Gazelle when I applied to join the Army Air Corps before University - none of this 500' feet from vehicle/vessel/person or structure nonsense - real hedge hopping it was!

Also had a jaunt in a Huey with the Luftwaffe through the Alps - awesome

Thankfully rule 5 for helicopters has changed now, we are no longer bound by the 'land clear' rule. Although I'm firmly in the 'airspeed is life, height is insurance' camp.

Jealous about the Huey, I'd love to get one of those old warbirds into my logbook.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I had a ride up the mountains in a Scout (Army Air Corps) ...sitting in the back with the doors off, legs hanging over the Cairngorms and the Larry Groo (as we called it - scary enough for me!

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
I had a ride up the mountains in a Scout (Army Air Corps) ...sitting in the back with the doors off, legs hanging over the Cairngorms and the Larry Groo (as we called it - scary enough for me!

Good machine the scout. Unless the engine quits. The guy who does my LPC every year says it's the scariest autorotation on the planet. It just goes down like a streamlined anvil. Lord knows, he's flown pretty much everything in the inventory, so I trust his opinion. I'd still love some time in one though, some real old school engineering and then some.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE