Hebrides with Caravan in September, St. Kilda?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I hope your recovery is sound and you never have a recurrence :)

I also hope you have a really good holiday too, and that the weather and the midgies are kind :D but I have one huge request.

We drive on the Left and the number of tourists that refuse to give way and then realise to their horror that they're on the wrong side of the road, is truly becoming an issue.
Please mind, and take care, and please let folks past you. It's no shame to pull over at a wide bit with a clear view past and let following traffic through ahead of you. I do it, and I'm not a slow driver, but I'm not as familiar with the roads as the locals. When I work there, I pull over and let folks past, it keeps things moving and it cuts frustration.

M

Turnstone

Apr 9, 2013
Germany
Thank you. I really appreciate that you all are worried about having us on your roads. But do you all really think we don't know how to drive, or how to behave on the road? That we didn't look up what rules apply, that we don't know that you drive on the left, that you use miles and not kilometers? That the neat little parking spots along the single track roads are not parking spots at all?

I hope it wasn't your intention to make me feel horrible about coming to Scotland and dare to bring a caravan. But that's what it feels for me right now after so many comments about it...:emoji_cry:

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Turnstone we're not trying to P you off but just trying to warn you. You did ask for advice. The roads are challenging and if you're not used to them or know how to use them then many people get into difficulties. This year already my colleagues and I have had 5 near accidents with tourists, some brit some not. Your caravan option will make it more challenging for you. Again you did ask for advice. Come over and enjoy yourself it'll be interesting to see your viewpoint of areas I know well from an outsiders point of view.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I am truly sorry that you took our concerns as belitting, it really wasn't the intention.

We just have huge issues with folks driving on our unfamiliar roads, especially in the tourist season.
I have had two near misses last year, one by the skin of my teeth. The big SUV driver was frantically angrily and aggressively waving me over to the wrong side of the road, and then swerved violently back into his own correct lane when he realised, pulled up and sat, head on the steering wheel absolutely shaken. I pulled over and went back to see what was up, saw the state he was in, and just walked away. There was nothing I could say that was going to help matters one bit. He knew what he'd done. EU numberplate.

Tourism is a good thing for the economy of the Highlands and Islands, and folks are welcome, and will find folk welcoming too :) Just the driving gets a tad hairy, so we really do advise folks to think hard about it. Tourists seem to forget that many of the drivers on the road will likely just be locals, trying to get to work, appointments, pick up kids, etc., and get on with busy lives.

I hope you find the calm and peace when you do get settled on site just what you're looking for :)

M

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
Why is everyone so touchy, if I get advice I don't like I ignore it. I would imagine (and know from experience) that the advice given in this post has been genuinely passed on with the best and friendly intentions.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I would not worry about the traffic and narrow British roads.
I would worry more about not understanding what the locals say....

To make your trip easier, I suggest you study the northern way of speaking English by watching the excellent tv series ‘Shetland’.

:)

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
[QUOTE="Janne, post: 1896399, member: 47509

To make your trip easier, I suggest you study the northern way of speaking English by watching the excellent tv series ‘Shetland’.

:)[/QUOTE]

Totally incorrect. The West of Scotland accent is known for being coherent, and is completely different from Shetland.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Well, for us barbarians they sound very similar.
Like Swedish to you, even if the range of dialects is even larger than in UK.
Any suggestion how the Germans can get acquainted with it?

Being able to understand (at least some) will make their trip more enjoyable!

I struggle with the Scottish dialects myself, despite living decades in UK and UK affiliated areas.
I need to have subtitles watching Shetland.

I think that trip will be fantastic!

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
Well, for us barbarians they sound very similar.
Like Swedish to you, even if the range of dialects is even larger than in UK.
Any suggestion how the Germans can get acquainted with it?

Being able to understand (at least some) will make their trip more enjoyable!

I struggle with the Scottish dialects myself, despite living decades in UK and UK affiliated areas.
I need to have subtitles watching Shetland.

I think that trip will be fantastic!

I've travelled the world, and a smile works wonders where language is a barrier.
Going with an open mind is a great education, and as far as Sweden goes; possibly one of my favourite experiences. Everything I was told to expect was wrong, but then that was from people who didn't really know the score.
A friend of mine recently visited Japan. He asked for some advice. Someone on an online forum went to great lengths to explain how to ask where the bank was. Which turned out to be how to ask where women who exchange certain "favours" for cash hung out. Two words, FACT CHECK. There are plenty of YouTube clips with Scottish dialects, and other associated info. :)

Reactions: Toddy and SCOMAN

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I promise, I will never, ever give such dastardly linguistic advice!
If you ask for a English-Swedish, Nirwegian or Czech, I will give you a correct translation!
I am yet to visit a country where the majority of people are unfriendly.

But it helps to understand a few words.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Most Hungarians speak a better English that most Brits speak a bad Hungarian though!

John Cleese was funny. He is lucky his career was decades ago, today he could not joke the way he did.

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
To be frank, same here. The last posts from us seems to be scrambled.
?

It is OK, it is a beautiful Sunday, it rains nicely, Nature is loving it, and we are off work tomorrow!

Turnstone

Apr 9, 2013
Germany
Haha, I enjoyed the language part, thanks!

Sorry about my reaction to your driving advice, I am really thin skinned right now. We nearly had to cancel the trip again because I have (back in October) applied for a 3 week rehabilitation program for cancer patients (and survivors) and I still don't have a date for that. Chances are high that it collides with our vacation, and going on vacation is no excuse to get another date for this... Finally I was able to talk to the clinic and they will take my vacation into account. This was totally nerve wracking.

So thanks for your advice on driving there. We will be careful not to annoy the locals, not to crash the caravan and try not to block any roads! You don't have to repeat it again and again, I got it, really. Can't promise we'll drive like locals, but we will give our best.
What I am worried about on the roads out there is wind. I guess it can be rough on the Outer Hebrides, and getting hit sideways by it is something that's hard to control... I just hope that our "driving days" with the caravan are calm ones!

So if anyone has some specific suggestions for good spots to see wildlife, or any touristy things we shouldn't miss, or a good campsite on Lewis and Harris?
For the Uists we will stay at the Balranald campsite. The nature reserve there sounds promising for all sorts of wildlife!

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
One of my relatives is on Harris. This was taken earlier this week.
large.IMG-20190422-WA0000.jpg.7dcd44379707815c263c3e5c15589daa.jpg

Reactions: Toddy and Turnstone

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE