Heavy batoning with a SAK

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Alfredo

Settler
Oct 25, 2009
ITALY (ALPS)
Hi everybody. This is a test that I done few time ago...hope you enjoi.

Hello everybody.
Today, I would like to show you how doing batoning on a big and very hard piece of wood…but without a big knife or any fixed knife; just using a little folder like a SAK, with a blade lenght 8cm e tickness 2 mm (Victorinox, model M4)...

…and of course whitout destroy or damage it. I apologize previously for the bad quality of any pics.

Let’s start. The only time when I need really to use the Vic to do any batoning (light batoning, to be precise) is now:

in fact I need to do a little crack on the wood.

Now, I need two little wedge, the second and final job of the SAK. From now, the SAK will be safe in my pocket again :)
Now I need to insert one of the wedges on the crack previoulsly done:

and let’s go to batoning using the wedge.
After any batoning, the crack increasing:

Now I use the second wedge just on the side of the wood, doing batoning:

the crack growing more and more, until the first wedge is free

I continue my work using the two wedges...

...here we are…

at this point, I use one of the wedge to force the crack on the other extremity of the wood...

...just a bit more batoning

and that’s it:

Time required: 4-5 minutes, including time for pics and to preparing the wedges.

Hope you enjoi! Regards from Italy, Alfredo

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Good post ,did you use the SAK to make the wedges?
I prefer battoning to swinging an axe,I don't have much luck with axes.

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Well done,it just goes to show what you can do with a bit of skill and a small knife.

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
I seem to recall a thread where a guy did something similar with a tiny pocket axe and a huge tree trunk! You could potentially do it all with just wedges and a maul if you took the time to make some wedges and fire harden them, etc. A lot of work though, but more satisfying then ripping it through a saw!

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
If your firewood has dried out and checked on the ends then you can do this without using your knife to start the crack at all ;).

Whenever I've used this technique I just drive the wedge in from the end unless I'm splitting out a bow stave or something very long (and requiring control of the split)

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
I seem to recall a thread where a guy did something similar with a tiny pocket axe and a huge tree trunk! You could potentially do it all with just wedges and a maul if you took the time to make some wedges and fire harden them, etc. A lot of work though, but more satisfying then ripping it through a saw!

That will be this one.
happy0054.gif

Made me appreciate what could be achieved with a GB Mini, though the hatchet used here was a Vaughan.

Excellent use of a small folder, thanks for posting.

Last edited:

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Very ingenious just shows what you can do with a little ingenuity when an SAK is your only tool.

But could you do it with a classic?

I'll get me coat......

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Very ingenious just shows what you can do with a little ingenuity when an SAK is your only tool.

But could you do it with a classic?

I'll get me coat......

I bet you could if you just use it to whittle a chisel or point onto a hard stick and then forced the stick through a log ;)

wedgesplittingweb.jpg
granted I did that wedge with a bigger blade (normal sak from memory), but it could be done :D

Last edited:

Peat

Forager
Aug 29, 2008
West country
I use battoning far more often than an axe. Unfortunately I managed to break the lock on a leatherman blast battoning it so i'm sticking to fixed blades from now on...

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
I use battoning far more often than an axe. Unfortunately I managed to break the lock on a leatherman blast battoning it so i'm sticking to fixed blades from now on...

You'll probably find that Leatherman will repair or replace your Blast under warranty.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Cheers for that. I don't have any receipts, boxes etc. Do you think they'd still do this?
Pete

i didnt have my reciept, i sent it back to the UK importer and the sorted it for me, i had a broken screwdriver bit. i got it back and its was all fixed and tight and new again but it was my old one with just a new bit in it. lovely. turn round was about 2 weeks.

i then promptly lost it a few weeks later lol

slammer187

Nomad
Jul 11, 2009
Ireland
I broke the lock on a Trekker SAK I think it was called....they won't stand up to much battoning...Hard blade vs softer lock = breakage at some stage...you should be grand as long as you don't put it through too much hard use!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE