Heating a tentipi

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Muncus - the Ductstore flashings look just the job and a reasonable price for a purpose made fitting- but does anyone know how hot the chimney actually gets on a wood stove?

The higher temperature Ductstore one would probably be more than enough at 260 deg C but the chimney size starts at 7.6 cms and the chimney on my stove is about 6.5 cms.

The lower temperature flashing comes in the right size but the temperature rating is only up to 135 deg C – is that enough??

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Muncus - the Ductstore flashings look just the job and a reasonable price for a purpose made fitting- but does anyone know how hot the chimney actually gets on a wood stove?

The higher temperature Ductstore one would probably be more than enough at 260 deg C but the chimney size starts at 7.6 cms and the chimney on my stove is about 6.5 cms.

The lower temperature flashing comes in the right size but the temperature rating is only up to 135 deg C – is that enough??

Just tightly wrap some solder mat around your flue until it reaches the diameter you need to make a tight fit inside the flashing - you only need to make up 1cm so 2 or 3 turns should do it. An extra layer of heat protection cant be a bad thing. :)

Last edited:

Muncus

According to the Soulpad website they advise having 60cm of flu between the stove and flashing, so I imagine the gasses lose heat quickly. But I think it is also advised to have a damper on the chimney, this helps control burn and prevent flames racing up the flu which would damage the flashing/thimble.

James

Edit - You could add a few turns of fire rope, or wick to fill the gap?

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
Thanks for all the replies folks. I've decided to bite the bullet and go for the Kifaru stove. I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers,
Nohoval

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE