Heating a smaller lavvu

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Just brought a helsport lavvu and with all new items you start thinking of other toys ...lol
As its the smaller 4/6 man size maybe a full on stove is going to be over kill with the UK climate ?
maybe a vapalux lantern and an ikea hobo filled with charcoal ?
or a folding fire box ?
what do other people use ?
cheers
Twodogs

antwerpman

Apr 29, 2006
belgium
I don't know how big your tent is but 1 /you have to be careful with a woodstove in a smaller lavvu, I wouldn't do it and 2/ you have to be very careful with any fire in a synthetic tent.
Maybe a heatpal, but try to find it in a boat shop that will be cheaper than tentipi dealers

http://www.tentipi.com/index.php?id=165

cappi

Life Member
Nov 15, 2008
hautes pyrenees,france
Hi i use the kifaru 4 man medium stove,i would recomend it the stove that is,if you intend to do,winter tipi,or hunt a lot ,a good invest ment in your safety and comfort is to buy the stove helesport recommend,you then have a garentee.I now live in pyrenees mts and even in summer i take the stove,somtimes if rains all night stove on kettle out.Anttwerpman is correct you must be careful,inside with open fires and fire boxes,a good and safe method without a stove ,is to rig a bash outside the tipi ,on an angle to have a fire box their.STOVE is the gold star ,but the stove intended for the make ,hope this helps,cappi.PS bang up a few phots to inspire you ?

Attachments

• DSC01730.JPG
    DSC01730.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 213
  • DSC01731.JPG
    DSC01731.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 211
  • DSC01729.JPG
    DSC01729.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 212
  • DSC01728.JPG
    DSC01728.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 211

EarlyRiser

Tenderfoot
Aug 14, 2009
Perthshire
You have to be a little more careful using charcoal in a confined space as carbon monoxide is always produced regardless of the amount of oxygen present.

http://www.hpa.org.uk/web/HPAweb&HPAwebStandard/HPAweb_C/1195733793495

I have a 5 man arctic ridge tent (smaller than a lot of tipis and lavvus) for which I've built a small stove from vegetable oil cans. It's similar to ones I've built for tipis I've had, just a little smaller. Just need to wait for it to get cold enough to fire it up.

First time I used a stove in a tipi it got so hot no-one could stand up.

Cheers

Tom

cappi

Life Member
Nov 15, 2008
hautes pyrenees,france
You have to be a little more careful using charcoal in a confined space as carbon monoxide is always produced regardless of the amount of oxygen present.

http://www.hpa.org.uk/web/HPAweb&HPAwebStandard/HPAweb_C/1195733793495

I have a 5 man arctic ridge tent (smaller than a lot of tipis and lavvus) for which I've built a small stove from vegetable oil cans. It's similar to ones I've built for tipis I've had, just a little smaller. Just need to wait for it to get cold enough to fire it up.

First time I used a stove in a tipi it got so hot no-one could stand up.

Cheers

Tom

HOW CORRECT YOU ARE "HEAVEN SPRINGS TO MIND"

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
i got this made up a few months ago from a mate

Picture1963-1.jpg

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
I've got a Varrie 5 and have experiemented with heating - not very successfully. I tried a Yukon firebox and found it very smoky and found I got hot embers on my meltable kit. I tried it with a stove and found there wasn't enough room to get in and move around safely. Both options work fine on my larger Varrie 9 so I concluded that small laavus are better without. I think a HeatPal or a pressure lantern would be more what you should be looking for.

Nonsuch

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
The Helsport has a fire-resistant coating, but I would not venture lighting an open fire (box or no box) anyway. There are several nice stoves available from various makers.

Also, check outhttp://www.moosecamp.nl - they have a nice collection of stoves for Tentipi laavuus - they will fit the Helports too.

Barblade

Dec 15, 2005
Lancashire, UK
Just spotted this post on Stoves in the tipi, IMHO unless it's pretty nippy (below 0) you probably won't need one but your mileage may vary - I had a Feuerhand kerosene storm lantern for light and found that this took the edge of the chill enough to sleep without a bag or blankets (though this was in summer), similarly, I suspect making a brew before bedtime will have the same effect.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The Vapalux throws out about a kilowatt of heat so enough to heat your tent (you could make a foil shield to block out the light at night I guess), how about a paraffin 'bowl fire' which unlike most wood burners will burn all night unattended as will your Vapalux.

The Heatpal meths heater are very good, look out on ebay USA for the older Gloys Heatpal, they are larger but are better IMHO. They will burn methanol no problem and thats less than half the price of meths these days.

Obviously you will ventilate your tent but really watch burning charcoal, very nasty fumes, a lot of people died following hurricane Katrina after trying to cook on charcoal indoors.

Some of the options

DSCF1780Small.jpg

111T with a tea strainer over the burner radiates a massive amount of heat, tin foil pie plate behind it and it works really well

111-12.jpg

Bowl fire (crap picture sorry)

DSCF0496.jpg

Older Heatpal as you can see there is a support in place for a pot or kettle

DSCF2814.jpg

Have you spoken to Greg (North61) over on CCS? He and his young kids camp in -30 up in Alaska and he makes his own stoves, he'll let you have plans if you ask him

GREG4.jpg

GREG2.jpg

GREG1.jpg

antwerpman

Apr 29, 2006
belgium

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE