Heat Sealing Plastic "Tarp" - Help Please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
We ran into more problems with out "MegaTarp" this weekend and I need to make some repairs.:sadwavey:

It is very similar to those blue plastic sheets that you buy from B&Q but a bit bigger. www.tarpaflex.com (see army tarps)

The existing seams appear to be made by folding the edge over and somehow sealing them I guess this is heat sealing.

Does anybody know how I could do this at home please? :confused:

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
My initial reaction is to say forget geat sealing without the right kit and use some glue.
If you are determined to have a crack at heat sealing it back together I guess you could try using a domestic iron. You might want to invest in an "El Cheapo" iron specifically for the job in case you get molten plastic all over the thing. Try running the iron along the bit you need to seal with the iron set on a low heat. If no effect, try again with it a little hotter etc etc until you find that you are indeed melting the layers together. I wouldn't keep the iron very still for long though ;)

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Maybe something more like a soldering iron, run along a straight edge would do the job. Our machinery in work welds plastic film together at a temperature of about 160 to 190 degrees Celsius - though how you could measure that at home I'm not sure.

Good luck

Ogri the trog

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
If you do go for the iron option, put a tea towel over the pastic and run the edge of the iron over that, plastic won't stick to the iron then. We use a similar trick to seal the green plasticy rubbery bags issued to us for use in the field, they seal perfectly and can be reused over and over again.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE