Heads up!! grow your own drugs BBC2 NOW!!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
health plants what to use and how to grow them at home!!!
Including Rosehip (dogrose) and blackberry (bramble)

and other interesting cure type foods

on TV right now! BBC2

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
:( OK, sorry not quite what it seemed to be.

Interesting anyway but most of the stuff he used was from shops.

and what happened with the dog rose/bramble growing?

sorry!:(

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ach, it was interesting though..........but don't those goji berries look toooo like the nightshades when they're growing :eek: ?

Can't really see me growing kiwi and papaya in the cool grey wet of a typical Lanarkshire garden however :rolleyes:

cheers,
M

Oct 8, 2006
Scotland
Toddy sat and watched the programme and my first words were they should not show those berries, if they are going to have problems with some poor bu**er being ill this will be the problem plant.
Could they not have used some thing that is actually more native than a goji berry.
Got that off my chest.
D

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
:eek: something else i noticed there was no mention of the very well known irritant hairs in rose hips! (featured in every "survival" book ever made!)
on top of that he appeared to be just munching on rose hips with no preparation!

perhaps there should be a warning about seeking further advice before foraging?
sad, i would normally throw caution into the wind!

I can see people trying Nightshades :eek: thinking they're Godji, It's a bit Different to other more Dedicated Bushcraft/River cottage type programes and top marks for trying but there are some serious issues to look at!

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
I looked up those Godji berries after the program and they are in the nightshade family, very easily confusing for novices. Specially as he said they only grow in a very few places in the south, so the chances of finding the actual plant are very small but its dead easy to find something that looks just like it.

My Dad is really keen on growing a Fig now though and I was looking into getting a Kiwi anyway. My Granddad has a Kiwi that grows amazingly well here in the Midlands but it has never fruited.

It was a kind of interesting program but there wasn't as much in it as there could have been.

deeps

Forager
Dec 19, 2007
Monmouthshire
Hmm Mr Wong was obviously busting to be a ' gardnin meedju personality' when he won his RHS medal. Lets hope there is a bit more substance in other programmes. They will be giving the boy his own cameo slot on Gardeners World next trampling over poor Montys good work and reputation - just you see.

I seem to remember Mr Swift digging his Goji bushes up at his allotment on the advise of Defra.

xylaria

Ach, it was interesting though..........but don't those goji berries look toooo like the nightshades when they're growing :eek: ?

Can't really see me growing kiwi and papaya in the cool grey wet of a typical Lanarkshire garden however :rolleyes:

cheers,
M

My friend grew kiwi from some supermarket fruit, it wasn't self fertile though. It grew fine until last summer where it got some manky fungal disease. It is a bulky climber plant, that is very fluffy.

I have being trying to germinate goji this winter. I knew it was solanceae, but i didn't realise it looked just like woody nightshade. The program it didn't make that point very explict. Woody nightshade taste like saccarin with tabacco, oddly sweet, not dissimlar to goji. He must of put at least a tenners worth of shop bought berries in that soup.

It was pretty interesting, but there wasn't much on native plants. Fresh dreid hops smell like cannibis, there are related and contain the same active ingrendent (cannibidiol not THC) that has shown positive effects in multiple sclorosis. I far as i know they aren't that easy to grow north of the watford gap. The other plants covered everyone knows about.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Fresh dreid hops smell like cannibis, there are related and contain the same active ingrendent (cannibidiol not THC) that has shown positive effects in multiple sclorosis. I far as i know they aren't that easy to grow north of the watford gap.

I know an area that Hops grow wild on a riverbank south of Norwich! I don't know if they were planted or not.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Lucky man :D They make good cordage as well as really good firecrackle when dried.
Apart from beer and great drowsinesses :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

xylaria

I know an area that Hops grow wild on a riverbank south of Norwich! I don't know if they were planted or not.

I know they need alot of sun to mature and no frost to take root. they could proberly be grown on the scottish gulf coast easily. They grow very large and top heavy and need alot of space. The same green fingered friend that grew the kiwi plant has tried repeatedly to grow hops and failed. They have either been struck by cold early on or by dryness when flowering. They are water greedy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE