Hazelnut butter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tomcoles

Settler
Jul 21, 2013
Buckinghamshire
Since the hazelnuts seem so abundant this year I was thinking of making some hazelnut butter. Like peanut butter. Or a find a way to preserve them in a paste of the alike to add to cooking etc or just on toast. Has anyone tried this and can pass on tips and tricks. I.e the ideal time to harvest the nuts and getting the best taste from them. Any recipes guys and girls would be great.

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
Really sounds like a good Idea. If enough of us try different methods and post the results, we can share recipes for next year. Peanut butter is just ground up nuts. Salt could be added for taste. Nut oil if the nuts appear dry when crushed. Time to harvest is just before it falls from tree I would think.

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
That has got me hooked. Now to collect the nuts. Thanks for the link. More protein than I can shake a stick at,

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
The time to harvest any nut is five minutes before the squirrel does; and therein lies a great skill!........................atb mac

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
We've just been out pocketing hazelnuts before the squirrel does....or the farmers smash the hedges :sly:

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I made hazelnut butter a few years ago. Like now it was a good year. It lasted a good long time with out going off. I couldn't say there was an awful long flaff about making it either, just roast, rub off skins and blend with oil. It was drier than peanut, but richer, more nutty.

I cant eat hazelnuts raw, or handle them much, they make my face and throat swell up. I dont have a problem with them cooked. The chocolate reciepe looks really lush.

Tomcoles

Settler
Jul 21, 2013
Buckinghamshire
I would steer well clear of them in that case as u may have had a mild reaction in the past. It may cause a worse reaction in the future. The same thing happen to a guy that i went to school with many moons ago and he asked for a curry which he knew had almonds in and knew he was ok with cooked almonds or so he thought. He died from anafalactic shock ( not sure that's spelt right) any how I am not saying it would happen to you but I would be very careful if u have already displayed a reaction to them

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I just tried this hazelnut butter recipe, with the dark chocolate added. I think I needed to roast the nuts a little longer as the skins didn't come off as completely as they should, but what the heck! two spoon of honey, dash of vanilla, some shavings from a block of 100% cocoa. Result: a thick paste, slightly grainy but not unpleasantly so - it sort of has a pleasingly rustic feel. I might try with a dash of walnut oil next time for a smoother texture.

Oh yes, and it tastes fantastic! :D

whale_omelette

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2010
north
just checked on my friends woodland and there are some hazel nuts there, might go back and get some more as I doubt I would get much butter from 3 nuts...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE