hazel hearth question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mazeman

Forager
Jun 7, 2007
Porthmadog, Gwynedd
I've had great success with hazel hearths in the past but I went out today to collect some new material and came up with a new phenomenon - when I cleave the hazel I've collected it all has a sunwise twist to it! I tried it with a hatchet, a billhook and a knife just in case it was the tool nut I still got the twist. Was it just a series of flukes that I got clean cleaves in the past or is it just a run of twisted trees I've come across today? :confused:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
It is where the grain runs in a spiral due to the tree growing and following the sun like a sunflower does.....
The wood then cleaves with a spiral twist making it a b*gg*r to use if you want nice flat, straight cleft, poles!

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
This twist in Hazel isn't uncommon. Ive had the same thing happen to me times.

Interesting that youve had a lot of success with hazel as a hearth, ive never found it any good... (i take it you mean the hearth for bow drilling?)

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Are they from the edge of a woodland or clearing? these trees will have more twist than the strait growing trees into the woodland as they grow strait up, hazel spindles are second to none imo but as a hearth there are better options, if you find your stock is splitting twisted try battoning the billet with a knife or axe this gives more control on the split. if you find its a twisty billet go slightly thicker and carve it out.

mazeman

Forager
Jun 7, 2007
Porthmadog, Gwynedd
Thanks Paganwolf, you might have hit on the cause - the hazel was on the outer edge; I'll crop some from deeper in and see....

And jon,
I find there is something poetic about using a set made from the same tree, and hazel makes a fine dust. ( and I just like things made with hazel, something to do do with wisdom and knowledge and Celticy stuff). I make both the bearing block and the hearth from a thicker piece; the drill and bow come from further up. To make the drill, I hold the stick as it grows on the tree and make the point on the lower, harder end. The vertical fibres of the drill are harder than the lateral fibres of the hearth and hey presto, dust. And a smear of nose grease sorts out the bearing block of course.

Anyway, thanks for your help guys, you are: :cool:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE