Hay Rakes and how I make them (Pic Heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
It's been a year since I posted a picture of my hay rake, and I have finally got around to posting an illustrated guide to how I make them. Those of you who have read Mike Abbott's Green Woodwork book will find some of this familiar, but here goes...
rake2.jpg

There are four main parts to this design, the head, stail (handle), tines (teeth), and the hoop. The rake is made from a mixture of green and dry wood components, and natural shrinkage helps to lock the parts together.
The tines, hoop and stail should be made ahead of time to allow them to dry, and the rake head should be made from green wood.
I like to use mostly willow, as it is plentiful around my way, easy to work and results in a very lightweight end product. Ash makes heavier duty (and heavier) rakes. But you could use whatever is available.

1. The Stail.
I always look out for fairly straight poles of Ash or Hazel about 5-6ft long and an inch and a quarter diameter at the smallest end. There are no hard and fast rules, and the design can be adapted to whatever materials are available. These are stored under cover to dry out, then I peel them, using some home made draw shaves.
drawshaves.jpg

stail1.jpg

2. The Hoop.
These are made from 3ft lengths of Ash, Hazel or Willow, slightly bigger than half inch diameter, as half inch is the desired final size when dry. These are bent around a jig like so.
jig1.jpg

jig2.jpg

This jig is made from scrap wood, and the removable pegs hold the hoop in place, and prevent it from kinking whilst being bent. Some woods may be peeled before bending, but sometimes leaving the bark on may prevent splitting of the fibres on the outside of the bend (the downside is that once bent, they are a b*gger to peel). If there are any knots they should be placed on the inside or neutral plane of the bend. Then the hoop is tied off and left to dry out.

3. The Tines.
A six inch length of log (again willow, ash or whatever is available) is placed on a chopping block and split down into tine blanks (I use a froe). These should be about 5/8 inch square, so a half inch tine can be cut after it has dried out.
blank1.jpg

Stacking for drying:
blank2.jpg

After a few weeks drying the square sections will be noticeably rhomboidal, due to natural shrinkage. Now they can be turned into round tines. This is my version of a tine cutter, made from a 1/2" wad punch head welded to a tube and base plate (apologies for the poor welding - seriously out of practice)
tcut1.jpg

Whacking them through:
tcut2.jpg

Each new tine knocks the previous one out of the cutter. Some tines may run off a little, but I never throw them away; they may come in useful some day.
tines.jpg

Left to right - severely run off, slightly wavy, first quality.

4. The Head.
Make the head slightly longer the the final desired length, then the ends won't split when driving the tines home. A 12 tine head with 2" pitch will be 24" final size, so make it 26". I split it from a straight grain log, and use a drawknife to arrive at a shape something like this:
P2200097.jpg

The tine positions are marked, and the end tine holes are drilled with a 1/2" auger bit (all the way through, this is easier and allows for the later replacement of any broken tines). Tines are driven in, and a loop of string tied around to act as a guide for the rest of the holes, to ensure the tines end up in line.
P2200098.jpg

Note the scrap wood under the head to prevent splintering, and protect the surface of the shaving horse. Then the rest of the tines are driven in, and trimmed to the same length. The back edge of the tines need chamfering, to allow the front edge to contact the ground when the rake is in use. Finally the excess end lengths are sawn off, and the edges of the head are given a chamfering.
P2200100.jpg

I use my home made 7oz side axe here.
P2200101.jpg

Assembly.
A hole is drilled for the stail to pass through the head (about 7/8" depending on the stail diameter) This may be angled back slightly so there is less than 90 degrees between tines and stail. The end of the stail is whittled to fit, and a groove sawn to just over half the length of the whittled down section. The stail is the fitted and secured with a hardwood wedge, sawn off to length after fitting.
P2230102.jpg

Then the hoop is fitted, with 1/2" holes drilled at an angle (judged by eye) into the head (not all the way through). The ends of the hoop are either whittled down, or shaped with a rounding plane (again home made)
P2230104.jpg

Then the hoop ends are pushed into the holes.
P2230105.jpg

Now the rake can be put to one side to dry out. The head should shrink around the other components, locking them tight. Once dry, a spokeshave is used to tidy up the back of the rake head, as the tops of the tines may be sitting slightly proud. Then linseed oil is applied, and finally the hoop is lashed to the stail (I use green jute string and a square lashing)
P2230106.jpg

Finished! Thanks for your patience in reading this long article, any comments/questions appreciated

Last edited:

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Thanks for this!

umm at the risk of sounding really cheeky, is there any chance of having a closer look at that rounding plane you've made. I'm not sure I understand the principle of how it works. as for those homemade drawknives, those are sweeeeet!

Great looking garden tool you've got there now. Well done.

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
Thanks for this!

umm at the risk of sounding really cheeky, is there any chance of having a closer look at that rounding plane you've made. I'm not sure I understand the principle of how it works. as for those homemade drawknives, those are sweeeeet!

Great looking garden tool you've got there now. Well done.

same principle as a pencil sharpener -just a bit bigger :D

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Fantastic, where can I buy draw shaves?

Chambers - Most draw shaves that old craftsmen used were custom made for them , sometimes out of old sickles or grass hooks, or made by local blacksmiths. I made mine from old Landrover leaf springs, rough grinding a curved blade with my angle grinder, then heating them up to bend them round. I believe Gransfors make a curved draw shave (with a very shallow curve) but this is way too expensive for me.

Biker - What Nuggets said, just the same principle as a pencil sharpener.
P2230103.jpg

The hole through it is tapered at the start, and 1/2" diameter straight section at the exit. The blade has a curved edge.

Everyone - Thanks for the positive feedback!

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
have you seen the out of town dvd of mr sims of pamber end hampshire making rakes? He fits the rake tines by tapping them slightly flat, then dip them in water, then drive into the holes in the rake head. They expand tight in the head. I like the brickies line to do the tine holes, very neat....:)

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Nice job and nice tools. I like the shaves, old grass hooks are easy to pick up from car boot sales and as you say make great shaves for pennies, many coppice workers use them simply cutting a length and wrapping the ends with tape for handles.

Have you seen this little film of Trevor Austen's rake workshop. Very sad he had to give it up due to ill health a couple of years ago. I use to do all the country shows with him and it's sad to see the state he is in in the film but interesting to see the tooling in the workshop.

http://www.reading.ac.uk/merl/online_exhibitions/ruralcrafts/thefilms/hayrakemaker.html

Biker

Thanks Muddypaws,
Not a million miles away from this then:

Dowel-Maker2.jpg

As for the dowel maker I have a 14 steel plate my Dad made for my grandfather. it has different size holes drilled through it. You cut a rough taper on the end of the stick and beat 7 shades of s*** out of it driving it through the plate, you get a rough dowel come out the other side, it's rather like this set up.

DKX29.jpg

Takes you back to your toddler years when they used to make toys like this supplied with a small mallet :lmao:

Thanks for sharing the photos of your tools.

LandRover springs eh..... Hmmmm, Velly interesting. goodjob

Incidently I found these images online someplace.

Biker

Hey Robin,
Y'know I spent about an hour last week searching out the method of bowl turning on a pole lathe, found some dodgy film clips on youtube and several dozen photos but the film clip at your webiste was the most informative by far goodjob.

Come the spring/summer I will be making two projects. A pole lathe and a shaving bench. My workshop in the basement is nice enough but when it's sunny outside it seem such a shame to be stuck indoors.

Lovely hook chisels too. I know of a local blacksmith that I'm going to have to sweet talk into making me a couple of those.

So thanks for the info. Your website's been bookmarked in my greenwoodworking directory. :)

I've just watched that film clip on your blog about hewing beams the Japanese way. I winced everytime he swung that axe. Can we say health and safety? :yikes: Shoeless! And he still has all his toes! A miracle!

Last edited:

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
LOL I was buying elmm at a yard in Virollet (Seine maritime) They had an old boy using a huge chainsaw, (looked to be about 28 or 30 inch bar), to crosscut my board's, he was wearing plimsolls-with no lace's :lmao::lmao::You_Rock_

Rory McCanuck

Dec 25, 2009
Manitoba, Canada
I've just watched that film clip on your blog about hewing beams the Japanese way. I winced everytime he sung that axe. Can we say health and safety? :yikes: Shoeless! And he still has all his toes! A miracle!

I know what you mean, but methinks he has done this once or twice before ;)

Muddypaws: Thank you for a wonderful tutorial! You make it look almost easy. One of the things that really stand out though, is the forked rest for your shave horse. Such a simple idea, but I know I wouldn't have thought of it.

Oh yeah: and the finished rake looks pretty nice too :p

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
One of the things that really stand out though, is the forked rest for your shave horse. Such a simple idea, but I know I wouldn't have thought of it.

Oh yeah: and the finished rake looks pretty nice too :p

I can't take any credit for the shaving horse as my dad made it a few years ago. He wasn't a professional green woodworker, but a hobbyist, and besom making was his pet project. I must have got my love of green wood craft from him. The plank rest is removable so that the forked rest (or Prog) can be fitted, enabling the horse to convert from a regular shaving horse to a besomer's horse (the prog is ideal for rinding poles).

Last edited:

Biker

I know what you mean, but methinks he has done this once or twice before ;)

Muddypaws: Thank you for a wonderful tutorial! You make it look almost easy. One of the things that really stand out though, is the forked rest for your shave horse. Such a simple idea, but I know I wouldn't have thought of it.

That may be so but it only takes a sneeze or moments lapse in concentration at the wrong moment and it's "Sayonara" big toe "Moshi moshi" Accident and emergency.

But I understand your point, still tempting fate in my book though. :confused:

About that Y rest, I didn't even notice it until you pointed it out. Clever idea Muddypaws. Whether it was yours or your Dad's it's still a clever addition(makes mental note on paper to do the same come the spring)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE