Hawk treat ...

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
[h=5]Treat this morning ... I went down to the Woody Bit to clear the place for the bulbs and heard a hawk bell over my head. I looked around bit couldn't see anything then this man said "Goodmorning" from t'other side of the hedge. We began talking and he introduced me to his young female Harris Hawk who was sat up on a branch of our walnut tree. It seems he'll be hunting rabbits in the landlord's field - landlord has given permission - delightful :) and he says I can come and walk with them ... double delight :)[/h]

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Lovely Elen, friends of mine used to fly various birds, sometimes over the dogs. Beautiful memories, go and have fun = he may even let you have a go once he and his hawk know you better.:eek:

Elen Sentier

Lovely Elen, friends of mine used to fly various birds, sometimes over the dogs. Beautiful memories, go and have fun = he may even let you have a go once he and his hawk know you better.:eek:

As it's a Harris he just might if I look competent :D. Even just to have her on my wrist would be marvellous. There are plenty of rabbits for her to share with our resident buzzard pair so hopefully she won't have an argument with them. The female buzzard is a well grown-up lady with lots of experience while the Harris is only 44 weeks old so just a babe - prob not good for a babe to argue with a mature lady on her own territory :D

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
No indeed not, just watch out for the feet! Everyone avoids the beak, but they can be grabby. Have a pic somewhere with me struggling to hold up a female golden eagle. Huge!
As it's a Harris he just might if I look competent :D. Even just to have her on my wrist would be marvellous. There are plenty of rabbits for her to share with our resident buzzard pair so hopefully she won't have an argument with them. The female buzzard is a well grown-up lady with lots of experience while the Harris is only 44 weeks old so just a babe - prob not good for a babe to argue with a mature lady on her own territory :D

Elen Sentier

No indeed not, just watch out for the feet! Everyone avoids the beak, but they can be grabby. Have a pic somewhere with me struggling to hold up a female golden eagle. Huge!

I was offered a female Sea Eagle to hold once ... with an elbow crutch! Yeah, know about those feet ... and don't want her to lock on me, could be there for hours !!! As she's a babe her manner might be a bit beginnerish :) Be good to see you+eagle ...

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I was offered a female Sea Eagle to hold once ... with an elbow crutch! Yeah, know about those feet ... and don't want her to lock on me, could be there for hours !!! As she's a babe her manner might be a bit beginnerish :) Be good to see you+eagle ...

Sea Eagles are stunning beasts. Will try to find my old photo's, oh gawd me with long hair:eek:. Was reading reviews of your book earlier - sounds intriguing, how's it selling you clever sausage?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE